Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know 99% of you guys here totally hate HID kits that was just slapped on stock headlights (I've read all the threads). Do forgive the stupid driver (me) that did the install even after all the warnings.:chair:

I've been driving with this now for 3 nights, freeway, local roads, small roads etc. and hasn't been flashed yet...on the contrary, I've flashed a lot of "blue" HID kits co'z it's blinding me (lots of 'em in my area)

Let me know what you think. It's a 4300K HID kit from Xenon Hid Kit: Hid Headlight, Hid Fog Light, Xenon Conversion Kits and Hid Kit Accessories. Set me back about $54 (including shipping) I'd like to find out if I still need to adjust the headlight higher a bit. Although, right now I can see really well down the road, but let me know if it's too low.

Sorry about the lengthy video, kind of got carried away :crazy:

Oh yeah, it's kinda blue at start up, then turns white to white/yellowish afterwards (about 30 seconds)

YouTube - HID test

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Limited
57 Posts
You should be careful about HID kits since they are not street legal.

More patrol officers are being trained to spot HID kits during traffic stops due to the improper housings they are placed in and improper light patterns.

As you can easily see from the video, the light pattern from your car is oversaturated and regular lights have a nice cut off while the HID kit is no longer has a clean cut.

I know in Seattle you can get pulled over for having them as they have been the cause of many accidents in the area.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Aim your headlights how it says to in the manual. Park on a flat surface and shine your headlights on a white wall, measure where the cutoff sits, theres a diagram in the manual that explains where it should all be to be somewhat legal.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should be careful about HID kits since they are not street legal.

More patrol officers are being trained to spot HID kits during traffic stops due to the improper housings they are placed in and improper light patterns.
Actually, you don't see it that much in the video, but the pattern is still the same from my stock halogen (except for the passenger side light, I kind of adjusted it a bit high)

As you can easily see from the video, the light pattern from your car is oversaturated and regular lights have a nice cut off while the HID kit is no longer has a clean cut.
Again, everything in this video is oversaturated (even the street lamps), that's just my Xacti video cam, but even though it looks white, it actually has a tinge of yellow in it. It's 4300K, not 6000K. There is still a nice cut-off from the driver side. I tested it with my friends car who drives a Honda Accord and said that from afar it looks just like a stock halogen bulb (only brighter, but not blue bright) and however we pushed it, just couldn't seem to get any glare from it. I can't see the driver from the other car because the cut-off is too defined. Not like when I had the halogens, I could see the oncoming driver from about 25 feet.

·
Registered
01 Forester Ltd
1,062 Posts
I also have Hid kit on 01 Forester , ,i adjusted them and never been flashed,:tissue: think i probably got paranoid with all the negativity,and went a little lower then i need to, I also disconnected the day time driving lights, and modded my fogs to be day time if i want them on Yellow halogens. I need to install the relay kit when i get time, If i don't have any probs with them i may ingrade to BI-Xenon , so i high beam also.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also have Hid kit on 01 Forester , ,i adjusted them and never been flashed,:tissue: think i probably got paranoid with all the negativity,and went a little lower then i need to
Yeah, I feel you, I was a bit paranoid about it too, I've had a few oncoming patrol car experience, they didn't even flinch or looked at me. And again, because of the cut-off on the driver side, I can't really see the oncoming drivers until they're literally right next to me. About 25 feet away and the only thing I see from oncoming traffic is their headlight and I can see that my light hits just above the front wheel well (sedans) and just above the door handle of a miata (this is my driver side light hitting) and the cut-off is pretty defined.

I just lowered it a bit today, I'll see tonight how it is.

·
Registered
2009 Forester FXT
87 Posts
First off, your light housing is exactly the same as the canada HID housing. The reason for the difference in part numbers is because the canada housing comes with the ballast.

I would not touch them. They look fine. If anything you could almost bump the driver side up a bit. I say drive it and enjoy. Installing HID's in my 09 was the best thing I ever did. Beam pattern was better than with the standard factory bulbs. And with the 4300k kit, you do not have to worry about cops pulling you over for a aftermarket kit. Cuz seriously, if a cop can look at it from a distance and come up with the fact that it is aftermarket, that is one good cop.

Russ

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off, your light housing is exactly the same as the canada HID housing. The reason for the difference in part numbers is because the canada housing comes with the ballast.

I would not touch them. They look fine. If anything you could almost bump the driver side up a bit. I say drive it and enjoy. Installing HID's in my 09 was the best thing I ever did. Beam pattern was better than with the standard factory bulbs. And with the 4300k kit, you do not have to worry about cops pulling you over for a aftermarket kit. Cuz seriously, if a cop can look at it from a distance and come up with the fact that it is aftermarket, that is one good cop.

Russ
Do you have any evidence that supports this claim? I'm currently looking into the options for my sister's forester and deciding if a full retrofit is necessary. Do you have cutoff pics from 25ft etc showing your tighter cutoff? Reflector bowl comparisons etc? Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Proof required.

I'm not sure this is actually true.

It is extremely uncommon for reflector-based housings to be shared between models with and without HID's. It's somewhat common with projector lenses, but that is still somewhat infrequent.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
I kinda agree with Phil, but having owned oem non hid and now oem hid housing from a SG model, they appear to be the same by a glance. This also may appear to be true for the SH. The only way to truely tell is to pull the housings apart and compare the guts.

My complaint isnt people who use 4300k kits or even 6000k kits. Its those idiots who put 8000k+ kits in old non clear lense types and monster trucks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts