Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you would like to have the new OEM HID headlights installed in a 2010 Forester, I was told by one dealer that they would do it, labor included, for $300. This suggests some plug-and-play compatibility. Has anyone else asked this question of a dealer or actually had a dealer do this install of the new OEM HID lights? (And, I'm referring to this being done in a 2.5x base model prior to purchase.)

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
If you would like to have the new OEM HID headlights installed in a 2010 Forester, I was told by one dealer that they would do it, labor included, for $300. This suggests some plug-and-play compatibility. Has anyone else asked this question of a dealer or actually had a dealer do this install of the new OEM HID lights? (And, I'm referring to this being done in a 2.5x base model prior to purchase.)
I'd see if the dealer has their own auto body services or supplies a lot of auto body shops, that way they'd also know if the regular lights are going to sit on the take off shelves for very long. Also go in and price the new HID's to figure out the price differences, I'd expect the HID's to be more money.

Maybe fill in a little more of your Profile indicating a location, you might get some responses about the dealers you are checking out.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Please do post more info - this is very, very interesting indeed. :smile:

chrismc, be very careful, be sure to inspect the functionality as well as components of the factory HID (including leveling functions), on a vehicle so optioned, and to verify that, absolutely, this will be an OEM-to-OEM "transplant," with *everything* included. I'd go so far as to insist that the dealership give you that guaranty, in-writing, and to also bring along a friend with you who is well-knowledged in this area, if you're not well-versed, yourself, to truly verify the final product.

The cost of aftermarket plug-and-play components have come down to the $50-level, RETAIL - shops/individuals offering "HID retrofits" which are nothing more than these plug-and-play bulb/ballast/ignitor/wiring-harness kits (and thus neither true full-unit factory transplants nor true complete-optics retrofits) can make a lot of money by charging only a few hundred dollars for (easy) labor.

Be careful!

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
My guess is that they're not the real OEM HIDs, but more of the PnP variety. Similar to when you ask for leather and you get aftermarket leather. I've seen dealers put in aftermarket sunroofs. When I had an Xterra and at the dealer, one of the service guys came out and offered an HID kit for $300. My brother-in-law had bought a new 4Runner several years ago. He asked for an alarm and thought he would get a Toyota alarm. Instead when he went to pick up the car, he was handed the keys with a Checkmate alarm fob. He was pissed.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$300 sounds too good to be true so be suspicious

Same sentiments here.

I was at the dealer 2 weeks ago and had the discussion about the new packages available in the Feb MY10 FOZ (according to the Auto Show thread here).
1st....The dealer was unaware of this and when he checked on the SOA system, it did not show up yet.
2nd.......When I asked service about this they gave me a definitive NO, we will not do that for you. Too many complications and compatibility issues can arise, "it may fry your electrical system". My dealer is happy to do MODs, as some of you know they are family owned, sponsor autox and race events, and have been with Subaru for many years. I do trust their opinion, although if someone tries this and it works........I would do it in a NY second. I think $300 would be just the labor costs (dealer installed).....maybe a bit less.

·
Registered
10 FORESTER 2.5X PZEV
13 Posts
I have a 2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X and I'm also interested in having HID lights installed. Any more suggestions on this topic?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts