Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum.

I drive a 2003 Forester XS (silver metallic, 150k, AT) , my wife drives a 2009 Impreza wagon (red, 10k, 5MT). I've lurked here occasionally, but registered because this forum was nice enough to clue me in on the "badge of ownership".

My Forester sees pretty regular action; we spend a lot of time bouncing around dirt roads and campsites in a nearby National Forest. It regularly hauls all my band-related gear, as well as computers and (occasionally) furniture around the large University I work for. A couple of weeks ago, it was a tailgating vehicle for my crew at a Jimmy Buffett concert.

I love everything about my Forester, with the exception of the automatic tranny. The gigantic sunroof (summer is great here), the heated seats and wiper warmers (it gets pretty icy here too), the awesome handling and turning radius, and the car's general stability are my favorites.

I have only had this car for maybe 6 months, this is my first Forester. I just replaced the tires and brakes. Next I want to replace a bunch of lighting (I'm missing one marker bulb and one fog-light bulb, and I just want better headlight bulbs; might as well replace the other front-end bulbs while I'm in there) and all-weather floor mats (came with OEM carpet).

:Banane35:

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Welcome, glad to have you here.

I see you have already been dispensing sage advice to other members, thank you, we hope you continue to participate.

What is it that you don't like about the automatic transmission? You might want to consider having the transmission and differential fluids changed if they have not been, that you know of. You definitely will notice an improvement in shifting and drivability once you have this done. The trans and diff's are probably a couple of the most neglected serviceable items on most cars (not including any members here :biggrin:).

Be careful with upgrades in the headlights. The wiring harness to the bulbs are a weak link in the system and you will often find melted plugs on older Subies, particularly Foresters. I still have the stock bulbs and have found one of my plugs quite brittle from the heat.:icon_frown:

As far as what you are using it for you might be interested in this thread http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f76/show-us-your-guitars-49578/, I apologize in advance if you are a drummer or play any other musical instrument.:icon_razz:

You'll find a lot of useful and not so useful reading by using the Search options, that can provide a lot of insight into how others have found solutions to their Forester issues, that make them that much more enjoyable. That's what makes this a great site lot's of great members.

Enjoy the forum as much as you are enjoying your Forester.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome, glad to have you here.

I see you have already been dispensing sage advice to other members, thank you, we hope you continue to participate.
I can talk about cars all day. The intartubez is very convenient for this affliction. :)

What is it that you don't like about the automatic transmission? You might want to consider having the transmission and differential fluids changed if they have not been, that you know of. You definitely will notice an improvement in shifting and drivability once you have this done. The trans and diff's are probably a couple of the most neglected serviceable items on most cars (not including any members here :biggrin:).
Thanks for the advice! That's probably a good idea; I will have that changed.

As for what I don't like about the AT, it's just soft and squishy. My wife's Impreza (same motor, Manual tranny) is so much more fun. :)
Be careful with upgrades in the headlights. The wiring harness to the bulbs are a weak link in the system and you will often find melted plugs on older Subies, particularly Foresters. I still have the stock bulbs and have found one of my plugs quite brittle from the heat.:icon_frown:
Point taken. I'm not gonna try anything too crazy, but I was planning to buy a set of SilverStars.

As far as what you are using it for you might be interested in this thread , I apologize in advance if you are a drummer or play any other musical instrument.:icon_razz:
I sing in a rock band, and I sing and play hand drums (congas, djembes, etc) in an afropop/Latin band. No guitars here! :)

You'll find a lot of useful and not so useful reading by using the Search options, that can provide a lot of insight into how others have found solutions to their Forester issues, that make them that much more enjoyable. That's what makes this a great site lot's of great members.

Enjoy the forum as much as you are enjoying your Forester.
Thanks! :banana:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,434 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Post up a picture of your Forester so we can look it over. :wink:

I didn't like the AT in my Foresters until I started leaving it in 3 around town or until I'm above 50 MPH, then I shift into D. It makes a huge difference on the performance. My '07 Forester has a huge moonroof. It's too noisy (wind noise) to have it open when I'm driving. Better to open a window. In addition it was so hot when the shade is open with the sun overhead that I had to have the glass tinted! I have heated seats, but I have to admit I've never used them, other than to see if they work. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't like the AT in my Foresters until I started leaving it in 3 around town or until I'm above 50 MPH, then I shift into D.
Yep, I do the same thing. Helps a little. :)

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ack, will post pics later (forum software says I haven't posted enough).

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,434 Posts
I didn't like the AT in my Foresters until I started leaving it in 3 around town or until I'm above 50 MPH, then I shift into D.
Yep, I do the same thing. Helps a little. :)
It sounds like you need a "turbo"! :icon_eek:

ack, will post pics later (forum software says I haven't posted enough).
As to posting pictures or links. You're required to have 15 posts to link to a host (to prevent spamming), but you can attach pictures (thumbnails) now. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
99 Forester
89 Posts
:woohoo: Hi from Cornwall on the other side of the pond in the U.K.

I too, thought that I could not post pics.:icon_frown: Now 2.5 sleeper says I can well I'll try.

Jon

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice pics! Looks like you've got a nice trail in the woods. :icon_biggrin:
Thanks! Those were taken in Hoosier National Forest.

Here's my wife's car in Red River Gorge (Daniel Boone National Forest, in Kentucky):

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls! :bacon:
Those are some nice Subaru's you've got yourself there.
Thanks! I've never had anything even, *close* to a new car before (wife's Impreza is new); it's strange to me to not be the guy with the weird old vehicle. The Forester (now our "old" car) is still three years newer than anything I've ever had, and as "recently made" (at the time I bought it) as anything I've had.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts