Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been to the forum many a time trying to troubleshoot issues with my car, so I finally decided to join. The Subaru I own is a 2001 Forester S. It's been a good car so far with a few issues. The car was previously owned by my father in-law since new until I acquired it. At 147000 miles, it's starting to develop a few issues. I'm interested in peoples opinions on whether to keep it or not.
A few of things I don't care for that I've discovered are parts that don't seem to be rebuild-able, like a drive shaft.
I would very much like to hear from people about their own experiences on a car this age, and if you'd continue to throw money at it.
Overall the vehicle body is free from rust, and looks great, inside, and out, considering I live in the northern part of the country. I'm starting to suspect, I could have the head gasket issue that plagues most owners of the same vintage.
Some input on whether I should keep the car, or replace would be great.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was kind of hoping for a few more responses about keeping this vehicle, but I probably need to post in a different forum thread

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,424 Posts
@JAGJIM not all members look at the new member intro sub-forum. In addition, technical discussions here would be getting off-topic. :wink:

As I posted on my previous post, the Google custom form search is pretty good. Take a look at the my search results for: repair or sell

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2008 Forester AT
23 Posts
@JAGJIM Your car sounds like its in really good condition for its age. If you enjoy driving it I would say keep it until the repairs add up to more than its worth. The newer Foresters are not the same as what you have so you have a unique one (the older ones are more fun in my opinion), especially if its not that rusty. I have a 2004 with 160k+ miles on it and the gaskets and timing belt have never gone out; my most expensive repairs have been related to rust issues. If you keep it for a while you can save up money for longer too. I would keep it until it gets really rusty :)

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks @SF2004. The car really is in fantastic shape. I'll have to pop a couple photos and post them when I get a chance. The car was purchased from my mother in-law last year. It's my daughters daily driver. I'm starting to be plagued with multiple wear items like U joints, Catalytic converter, fuel filler neck, various oil leaks, struts, and other stuff. I'm not a mechanic by trade, but I do have loads of experience working on cars over the years. I find that working on this vehicle, for the most part, is fairly simple, and straight forward.
When posting to this forum, I was looking for a few answers to my questions about whether the car was worth keeping, or getting rid of it, and moving on to something newer. I think my decision is to keep the vehicle, and work with the car. There's still unknowns about the car, which makes me apprehensive about throwing large amounts of money at an 18 year old vehicle, but I guess everything in life is a risk.
Thanks for your reply, and thanks to @2.5x_sleeper for yours also

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,424 Posts
@JAGJIM as to forum permissions:
New members can "attach pictures (thumbnails)", but are required to meet the requirement below to post a for sale ad in the Member Classifieds or edit a post or to post links ... to prevent spamming.

• Time as a member = 15 days, "New User" (displayed under the user name), changes to "Forum Member".
• Forum post count = 15.

Editing is not allowed in the "Member Mishaps" sub-forum.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts