Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new here, looking for help, I drive a 97 Turbo, looking to lower and firm up the suspension, any good and cheap recommendations? Can Impreza suspensions fit?

Thanks in advance.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Most will, as far as I know. I think OEM takeoffs from an STI (or forester STI, if available) are a good choice, but that's just my opinion.

Welcome!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blitzoid said:
Most will, as far as I know. I think OEM takeoffs from an STI (or forester STI, if available) are a good choice, but that's just my opinion.

Welcome!
Thanks for the quick reply, but can you advice what year WRX STI I should look for? and I read some post in the forum saying there are issues with mounting points and rear drop issues due the weaker springs, what would be the fix?

Thanks, need all the help I can get

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
heyman said:
Thanks for the quick reply, but can you advice what year WRX STI I should look for? and I read some post in the forum saying there are issues with mounting points and rear drop issues due the weaker springs, what would be the fix?

Thanks, need all the help I can get
I'm not sure what's available in your neck of the woods... if it were my car, I'd be hunting for WRX wagon takeoffs from the bugeye style models. But that may not be aggressive enough for you.

You could get a full blown adjustible coilover setup, or something equally impressive... I'm more of the daily driver type - i like comfort with a little extra sportiness than stock, and nothing more. Honestly, being in NYC, where the roads are horiffic, i'd rather keep the ride height as is (that's why my only handling mods are a bigger rear sway and bigger wheels/tires)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Black98 said:
I was about to say "97 turbo??? what??"

Then I saw your location...:redface:
First year they made this, all I can afford :lol:

Found no HK participant here and Forester are rare here too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
blitzoid said:
I'm not sure what's available in your neck of the woods... if it were my car, I'd be hunting for WRX wagon takeoffs from the bugeye style models. But that may not be aggressive enough for you.

You could get a full blown adjustible coilover setup, or something equally impressive... I'm more of the daily driver type - i like comfort with a little extra sportiness than stock, and nothing more. Honestly, being in NYC, where the roads are horiffic, i'd rather keep the ride height as is (that's why my only handling mods are a bigger rear sway and bigger wheels/tires)
Not looking for anything too agressive, could understand your reasons having to drive in NYC. I guess any GC8 struts and springs will work. Any chance that you'd know how big will be the drop from stock? Also worried with the droopy tail look.

Any recommendation to make it stop better?

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah, the thing is MY97, quite old, so the mods can't be too costly anyway, not worth it.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
heyman, stock suspension takeoffs would be your best bet to avoid spending too much money. Any Impreza suspension would work. The only problem to be aware of is the brake line brackets and mounts. Zip ties or wire ties will do the trick if the brake line brackets and mounts don't match up to your car. I would look into complete takeoffs off a WRX STi if possible. The rear end sag is due to low spring rates on the WRX sedan models. Even the WRX wagon suspension will sag under load and I can say with first hand experience.

The drop will be significant with Impreza suspension takeoffs. You should expect a 2-3" drop. If ride height is a concern, try looking at JDM Forester STi takeoffs. There are plenty of threads going on in the Suspension Forum for more info.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tre36 said:
heyman, stock suspension takeoffs would be your best bet to avoid spending too much money. Any Impreza suspension would work. The only problem to be aware of is the brake line brackets and mounts. Zip ties or wire ties will do the trick if the brake line brackets and mounts don't match up to your car. I would look into complete takeoffs off a WRX STi if possible. The rear end sag is due to low spring rates on the WRX sedan models. Even the WRX wagon suspension will sag under load and I can say with first hand experience.

The drop will be significant with Impreza suspension takeoffs. You should expect a 2-3" drop. If ride height is a concern, try looking at JDM Forester STi takeoffs. There are plenty of threads going on in the Suspension Forum for more info.
Thanks Tre36, but would fitting stock springs on these WRX struts be OK? If I'm willing to forget the lowering and save for better springs later.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
heyman said:
Thanks Tre36, but would fitting stock springs on these WRX struts be OK? If I'm willing to forget the lowering and save for better springs later.
I would not do that. Forester springs and struts are longer than the Impreza model. I would caution against using parts interchangeably that aren't meant to be. There will be ill effects. If I were you, I would just deal with the stock setup for now and save up money. During the meantime you can research different options out there.

Have you thought about aftermarket springs for your Forester? The chassis model to your Forester is an SF. You may want to try and source used springs for cheap and use your stock Forester struts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tre36 said:
I would not do that. Forester springs and struts are longer than the Impreza model. I would caution against using parts interchangeably that aren't meant to be. There will be ill effects. If I were you, I would just deal with the stock setup for now and save up money. During the meantime you can research different options out there.

Have you thought about aftermarket springs for your Forester? The chassis model to your Forester is an SF. You may want to try and source used springs for cheap and use your stock Forester struts.
Thanks again for the advice, problem is that the struts are shot on the Forester, they got to go anyway, just seeking an option to do the replacements. If the struts were fine I would have just find springs, but... :think:

Just wanted to say guys are real helpful here, glad I found this place :drive:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tre36 said:

Sorry Tre36, I'm just dumb, my mechanic say Impreza Suspensions will not fit, told him about the zip ties ;) . Just to confirm, the bugeyes versions you are talking about, are these the GDA & GDB's. Kinda have different glossary they use here in my neck of the woods.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts