Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester S/tb
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new owner here. I recently bought a second hand forester 2000 s/tb, very nice car, bot it frm the subaru kenya dealership, but had an engine knock the day i collected, so returned the car and they "sorted it" and returned it 6 WEEKS LATER....:icon_frown:

Now the issues:

1. Every morning, or rather every time car is cold, I have to give it about 4 minutes to warm up, if not there is no power and there's a terrible 'miss' and most likely it switches off if m not careful at a stop
2. the turbo doesn't seem to be boosting properly, its kinda moody, sometime it boosts abit, sometime it doesn't at all.
3. When I start the car, I can smell fuel, quite a strong smell, and the fuel economy is not good at all
4. Even when the car is hot and I have been driving, I can feel a slight 'miss' when accelerating....
Sorry, seems like alot, I like the car, its a joy to drive when it's working properly and it's my first subaru so I just wanna sort it out and enjoy it.

I took it back to the dealers and they just been giving me a run around and now are being difficult, very very annoying, most likely coz they had to replace the crankshaft and main bearing at their own cost, so I want to take it an independent workshop this weekend and have it checked out but I'm hoping for some pointers so I don't get take for a ride by the new guys as well....

thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,916 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

The fuel smell could be as simple as a loose fuel line hose clamp, or the engine could be running way rich.

Too many issues & as you wrote! It may be wise to have another trusted shop check it over. After that, you'll know what needs to be done. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2000 Forester S/tb
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bobby.... thanks, I will be taking it in for a diagnostic test soon so yeah maybe best to wait till then, appreciate the reply.

as for the fuel smell issue, I believe the car is running way too rich... any pointers?

·
Super Moderator
35,916 Posts
First thought, failing front O2 sensor. This might explain some of your other performance issues! Just a guess of course. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
787 Posts
It may be wise to have another trusted shop check it over. After that, you'll know what needs to be done.
Yes...Like returning the car to where he bought it.

Amubabe...Maybe I do not know the whole story but if after 6 weeks they gave it back to you with those outstanding problems, they should have never sold it and, no offense but, you probably shouldn't have bought it. I would be livid and you should be too.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S/tb
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@bjcarter2 - I agree, and I agree. I was pretty stupid to have accepted the car, but I suppose thats what happens with too little knowledge about anything, that plus I thought they would do right by me... well, now I am stuck with the car and I need to make it work for me somehow. I'm not totally unhappy with the car, I have been out of town a couple of times with it, and it behaves itself, as in, it has not conked off on me or anything.... well, anyway, now i am trying to justify it to myself . I definitely appreciate the responses though, thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
35,916 Posts
I can understand the situation you're in. Been there, done that. Bottom line, if you're stuck with the vehicle, as in, you can't take it back for a refund or have the dealer make it right. I'd suggest not going back to that dealer. One bad experience can usually lead to another! For the work you can't do yourself, find a trusted shop. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
don't forget about getting codes read. Might point you to a failing sensor and help you with the diagnostics. No sense changing parts one by one until you find the correct one.

No better way to learn about the vehicle than by working on it.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S/tb
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys, will do.
@bobby.... yup, I've decided not to go back to the "official" dealership, looking for someone who can help out,... @rsay777, at the risk of sounding like a complete fool, when you say getting the codes read, does that mean the diagnostic test or is that something else?

·
Super Moderator
35,916 Posts
^^ By getting the codes read, I believe rsay777 means if the CEL (Check Engine Light) is on, what were the codes when you had them read. If the CEL is not on, there's nothing to read. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2000 Forester S/tb
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
by the way, can i clean the MAF using carb cleaner? and what spark plugs are recommended to use? I went and checked today and was told to buy the NGK platinum ones..... although someone told me that they take a helluva long time to warm up and reach optimum operating temp.....
thanks

·
Registered
2000 Forester S/tb
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey guys, i cleant the maf sensor (dont know if i did it right) and the idle sensor and the car seems better but m still not getting good mpg and the boost is still moody, as is sometimes it boosts and sometime doesnt, and when it does, it's not a very good push..... anything else i can do, or any idea how i should clean the MAF and idle sensors properly?

thanks, just trying to get pointer form the forum as much as possible, its really difficult to get goo advice this side of the world.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S/tb
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh an by the way, no CEL on. So not sure if the diagnostic will help. When I cleant the sensors I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery, from what i have gathered , this should reset the ECU?

·
Super Moderator
35,916 Posts
by the way, can i clean the MAF using carb cleaner? and what spark plugs are recommended to use? I went and checked today and was told to buy the NGK platinum ones..... although someone told me that they take a helluva long time to warm up and reach optimum operating temp.....
thanks
I'd go here to see what sparkplugs are recommended for your Forester. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Super Moderator
35,916 Posts
oh an by the way, no CEL on. So not sure if the diagnostic will help. When I cleant the sensors I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery, from what i have gathered , this should reset the ECU?
Yes, that will reset the ECM. If your Forester dirves better, then gets worse, that would tell me the ECM is relearning, detected some problems & is trying to work around it. As to what the problems could be, I can't say. :frown:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2000 Forester S/tb
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
as always, thanks you been a great help.

okay, so i cleant the MAF sensor ( i think) and the idle control sensor ( agin, ope i did it right) and the car seems better, lets me expand on this, before the cleaning whenever I'd accelerate say from 1st and switch quickly to 2nd, the car would jerk really bad before settling and agin from 2nd to 3rd etc, but since the cleaning the jerking has more or less disappeared so m really happy that worked. Although my fuel consumption is still high and everytime I start the car when the engine's cold (in the mornings and when leaving work in the evening), i still have to give it warm up time and i get a strong smell of fuel (not inside the car) from the exhaust. Have been told this means the car is running too rich??? and like i said, this part of the world... subaru service costs a lot of money so if its something i could learn and do myself, m more than willing.

thanks for all the help guys.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts