Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester gls manual
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I use Lo range for heavy towing and driving in slow heavy traffic.
What i want to know is can you shift from one to the other on the move?
So far i have only done it at a standstill incase i brake something. It would
be usefull to pull away in low then change to high once you have got
rolling. Is this possible? Thanks Allan.

·
Registered
00 00 type r, 02x, 03xt Manual
168 Posts
aye its fine. i have changed at 60 after forgetting car was left in low range a few times. Bit of a no no as there is speed limit in handbook something along lines of 30-40 i think.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,698 Posts
aye its fine. i have changed at 60 after forgetting car was left in low range a few times. Bit of a no no as there is speed limit in handbook something along lines of 30-40 i think.
Pardon me for butting in. The both trucks I have had with duel range couldn't be shifted from one range to the other. when moving. Make sure you trust this answer. :new_multi:

·
Registered
00 00 type r, 02x, 03xt Manual
168 Posts
Pardon me for butting in. The both trucks I have had with duel range couldn't be shifted from one range to the other. when moving. Make sure you trust this answer. :new_multi:

cheese on top and have a nice day :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,698 Posts
cheese on top and have a nice day :biggrin:
I am not sure if I have been insulted as I don't know the ins and out of your slang. But you to. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
I do it when I'm dragging my shed around. Make sure you push the clutch in when changing high to low tho.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Active 2.0X MT 2x5 - MT with Dual Range reduction
1,236 Posts
It's a great advantage of Subaru's Dual Range, that a Subaru must not be at a stand still for changing from normal gear ratio to the reduction.
You always can do it while moving. You only need while driving to depress the clutch, then to pull up the lever of the Dual Range to reduction, then to engage the clutch again and you continue your drive with reduction - back to normal gear ratio it's the same procedure, of course you now must press down the lever to normal gear ratio.

But once again, your car can be moving all the time.

I do it very often while driving in my hunting area.
With some experience it's even possible to change very fast to the reduction in the middle of a muddy area, when one fears to get stuck conceivably using the normal gear ratio.

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
I'm aware that our cars are different models, but I have been shifting in and out of Low range on the move for years without any problems.

Low first is very handy for travelling at a steady speed around the M25 with your right foot off the pedal ...

·
Premium Member
2005 xt magic wand
4,072 Posts
the g wagen could swap from low/high upto 35mph never tried it at that speed you could also swap from 2wd/4wd upto that speed too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts