Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
03 Forester XS and I my girl's 04 Outback H6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just got an 03 Forester XS, its been well maintained but looking like I'll need to give it some love. I hale from Boulder, Colorado. My first Subi of my own!

I've been trying to minimize creating redundant threads by using the search function and reading a lot posts but still not finding exact answers to the thoughts I'm having. I was thinking of including them in my intro here, give the basis and perhaps you fine folks could point me to some proper threads or may have an answer or two for me.

-I'm looking to replace the oil for the front and rear diff. I picked up Mobile 1 75w90 LS, I didn't realize it has the friction modifiers. I read somewhere those might not be good on the front diff. Am I safe to use this specific oil for both the front and rear diff? Is there a better oil suited for this job?

-I picked up a Beck & Arnley transmission filter, was gonna start drain/filling the ATF fluid and switch out the filter. Then I read you want Subaru filter from the dealer only or it could cause tranny problems, does it really matter or should I be fine?

-Also I've got a P0457, just ordered the gas cap and had a question regarding testing the canister valve, I posted on this older thread but have yet to hear a response. Is there any in depth info to better understanding how the EVAP system works?

I really like this forum, I've already spent hours reading over the threads and have learned a lot so far! Thank you for any wisdom you may have to share!

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
597 Posts
If you've still got your oil and tranny filter receipts I'd return them and get the Subie branded filter (which had been described as a lifetime filter at one point). I'm on my 3rd tranny filter and unit is solid; use Subie branded fluid, BTW. Don't know on the LS rated gear oil you bought; I'd just get the proper GL rated stuff, any brand should be OK here... Sounds like you'll be taking care of car fine going forward...

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X 5 MT
38 Posts
Does the front and rear differential gear oil need to be changed? I never changed it on my Forester and never had a problem. Are your differentials making noise?

·
Registered
03 Forester XS and I my girl's 04 Outback H6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, I suppose I'll return the Beck/Arnley filter and buy the Subaru one that costs over 3 x as much lol. I 'm just planning on using Valvoline Max Life for the ATF fluid. The Mobile 1 75w90 LS gear oil is rated GL -5 of which the manual calls for. I have a feeling it will be fine even with the friction modifiers.

The differentials aren't making any noise. I just noticed when I bought the car the front diff was only half full, didn't look dirty though. Since the car has over 200k on it I figured it be wise to switch out the fluids.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts