Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday people!
How's it going?

What a top little forum you have here! Guys I have fallen in love with the Forester (since reading up on them last night). I love everything about em, the fact that they go most places with a lift kit and can be modded and nicely modded at that. My one major concern is the power of the 2L engine.

I currently have a 93 Toyota Camry Sedan 2.2L 97kW and I find it a bit lacking at times. I really don't want anything with less grunt then what I already have. Fact is my budget is really only 15K but will go out on a limb to 20k if I can get a 02 model with the bigger 2.5L engine. I don't want a turbo as I'll never be able to afford insurance on it (being only 22 and male).

What are your guys opinion on the power of these top little cars? How responsive are they? With the aircon on and you gotta move quickly from a standstill what are they like?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys!

Cheers,
Keith.

·
Registered
177 Posts
G'Day Keith,
Good to have you on board.
I cant really help with the non turbo 2.5, as i've only driven one as a loan car overnight. However, i did find it quite responsive (no aircon use though).
As far as general comments on the Forester, i cant really give them much greater praise. Good ergonomics, load height is ideal and the seats fold FLAT.
A fantastic all rounder.
All the best with your search.

Justin.

·
Administrator
16,592 Posts
Welcome to the forum Keith. The 2.5 is no slouch that's for sure and is very responsive even with the a/c on. If you want some fun playing with other cars - just wait for it to rain! The AWD will make the Forrie behave like a Porsche compared to the 2WD's ;)

My Outback was 2.5 also but I did drive a 2.0 Legacy wagon in NZ. It behaved well but the 2.5 is a lot better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Keith,

Well I currently have a turbo XT, but, when I ran my own little mail delivery business I used NA Foresters all the time. I initially had a 2 litre one and when the time came I replaced it with a 2.5 litre version. Both cars went well and did years of totally trouble free stop start driving. Regarding the performance side of things the 2.5 definitely has more ponies under the bonnet. In summer I had the air con going constantly and it didn't seem to blunt the performance too much at all. The 2.5 didn't use a whole lot more fuel and considering the cars were used in city traffic all day long being turned on and off around 50 times a day they both did everything asked of them without a mechanical or electrical problem at all. In fact the only thing that stopped them were flat tyres - bloody nails seemed to be all over place...!!

Anyway, to answer your specific question, yes, the 2.5 litre does go better than the 2 litre - has more power and torque and seemed to take off quite a bit better. I have never driven a Camry so unfortunately I can't comment on any comparison. Kevin's comments regarding performance in the rain are spot on. I always had a little fun at roundabouts when the roads were wet - just watching the looks on the faces of other car drivers was enough to make me smile all the time. I didn't need to speed or drive wrecklessly at all, but neither did I have to tippy toe around in the wet... good, safe fun indeed.

Either way I am sure you'll be a happy chappy Keith......

Regards
Ron.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys seems like a great place with helpful people!
They sure sound like a top little 4wd. Have any of you guys seen spurrymoses' site? He takes his Forester everywhere!

I am so hooked on them and only after reading about them on friday night I have to have one.

So I have to save a bit of cash, sell the Camry and my Motorbike (XR600) then I will look at em so probably 3-6 months before I will be able to (damn I hate to wait.) I noticed some Foresters go pretty cheap for the 02 models some with under 100k kms for around 20k and while I could afford a 2L model sooner I think its best to stick it out for the bigger engine. Would love a Turbo one but being 22 and a Male really puts a damper on that.

My next step is to test drive the 2.0L and the 2.5L to make a direct comparrison.

Do you guys take your foresters off road much?

Thanks again!

·
Administrator
16,592 Posts
Mine goes off road a fair bit; went to Cape York last year. I know spurrymoses and have been out with him in the Subie Club. Have a look in the gallery for "Offroad Forester Pictures - Fozzy's getting down & dirty"; the Subie Club site per my signature and also offroadsubarus.com.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great stuff I'll check it out.

Man what a great site! Thanks for the feedback guys I'll hang around and hopefully be able to get a forester of my very own lol.

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
Great stuff I'll check it out.

Man what a great site! Thanks for the feedback guys I'll hang around and hopefully be able to get a forester of my very own lol.
Sadly, you lasted on the site 2 months ....

I wonder what you ended up buying :Banane35:

·
Registered
653 Posts
good eye Candy- I thought this thread was current until I saw your post and the prior dates.
I wonder what happened to kjd?

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
Looks like some pruning has been done on old accounts

In this thread, neither kjd nor harbour2929 seem to be active accounts anymore.

Surprised by the last one as I am sure Ron was on here not long ago ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts