Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I bought a 2010 XT Limited about a month ago. I figured it was time to join the community :)

Weekday duty for the Forester will be taking me a few miles to work, and weekend duty will be to taking me into the hills for hiking in the summer and into the mountains for snowboarding in the winter. I'm figuring out a good bike and ski/snowboard rack combination so this forum has already been helpful.

If I could thank Subaru for one thing it would be headroom. I know that seems like a strange thing, but I am 6'5" with the legs of a 6' person, so I sit incredibly high. 90% of car makes and models are not only incredibly uncomfortable for me to drive, but even unsafe due to poor visibility. Subaru is the only manufacturer with good headroom across it's entire line (for trims without moonroof), and my Forester XT fits me even with the effectively-no-longer-optional moonroof (barely). For the record the only other cars I fit in that I have found are the VW Beetle (arched roof), and strangely also the cheapest smallest models from other manufacturers such as the Yaris and Honda Fit. Just as interestingly, I don't fit in many SUVs; I hit my head sitting in an Escalade, Hummer, and FJ Cruiser; go figure. So, thank you Subaru from saving me from being forced to buy a boring car just so I could fit in it.

If I could ask Subaru for one thing, it would be to offer a 6 gear dual clutch transmission on some models. I know that idea really irks the "6MT for life" crowd, but I've ridden in a Lancer Ralliart through the mountains can say that DCTs are for real -- that car is underpowered and overweight compared to a Subie but still performs incredibly well, all while keeping in-city convenience. Any anyway, the point is that DCTs should kill off ATs and CVTs in my opinion as they offer the best of the AT and MT worlds. Purists can will always be able to opt for an MT because some markets will always demand them. So, there's a still spot in my garage, for a WRX or STI with a DCT, and I'm patient :)

Quote from a coworker, after riding half a block in my FXT:
coworker: "This is like the perfect [Lake] Tahoe car."
me: "Yeah, that's pretty much the idea."

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,758 Posts
Welcome. I'm on the other end of the spectrum-I'm 5ft.4in. tall. Subarus fit all sizes of people, comfortably. Enjoy and just try to wipe that XT turbo smile off your face:).

·
Registered
2008 08 FXT limited 4EAT
40 Posts
Congrats

And enjoy the your Lake Tahoe car and where ever else your beloved Foz takes you. Yes I know exactly what you speak of with regard to head room. I am 6'6'' and sitting in my 08 I still have to tilt a little. I knew this going in to the purchase, but just loved the 08 style, so I pulled the trigger and bought. Though it has only 39.1 in of head room, and the newer 09-10 have over 40 in.

Well anyway, enjoy your totally awesome Foz and welcome.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Post up a picture so we can look it over.
I put a photo in the gallery. Apparently I can't post the picture here directly until I've made 15 posts. The photo is here:
subaruforester.org/gallery/file.php?n=1795&w=o

Zero changes so far. I've been out of town a fair amount lately so I haven't even driven it much. I'm hoping to get better acquainted in next few weekends.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts