Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am standing on the edge, I am a noob when it comes to Foresters (although I currently own a Stage II WRX:biggrin:) I have my finger on a 2001 Forester S with 74k on the clock. I am thinking about purchasing TODAY!!!
I just got done reading a pretty brutal thread on the head gasket... It is making me want to step back... So I figured I should ask the people that REALLY KNOW...
Should I be that concerned about this issue... According to carfax... It looks like the car has been well maintained although the conditioner recall is still needed.

Before I buy this car... any opinions would be MUCH APPRECIATED...

·
Registered
2003 Forester X Auto
947 Posts
The open deck 2.5 subaru engines seem to be prone to the HG failure. If it has not been replaced yet, then IMHO it's only a matter of time. This affects from MY'99 to MY'02. There was a program in place to help out those years, but I think it's over now. The MY'03+ has also had it's fair share of HG failures, mine included. If it's in as good of shape as you say with such low milage for that year then maybe it's not a bad buy. Just be prepared to replace the HGs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The open deck 2.5 subaru engines seem to be prone to the HG failure. If it has not been replaced yet, then IMHO it's only a matter of time. This affects from MY'99 to MY'02. There was a program in place to help out those years, but I think it's over now. The MY'03+ has also had it's fair share of HG failures, mine included. If it's in as good of shape as you say with such low milage for that year then maybe it's not a bad buy. Just be prepared to replace the HGs.
If we are talking... it is not a matter of if the HG will fail but when... That makes me shy away even more.

I can turn a wrench, but I am not a "Master Mechanic" by any means... I am not sure that I would want to tackle a project like that... besides I really don't have the time to devote to repair like that besides the fact that I could not be down a car.

On the other hand the vehicle is clean... I am really just looking for a 3 year vehicle, for my wife and 2 kids. She may put 5 -7k on the clock a year... Take the kids too and from school / Grocery getter... With the occasional trip to the snow

I know that in my area... this type of vehicle will go quick there asking price is very reasonable for the car. I am just not 100% sold on it

AAAARGH I could flip flop back and forth all day!!!! but it was going to be decision making time real soon!!!!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
This goes for all N/A Subaru EJ25 engines, btw... The Phase II (MY98 on the Forester) engines tend to leak internally, the Phase II (MY99+) ones develop external leaks. More info here: Head Gasket Problems - Subaru 2.5 liter engine - Phase 1 and 2

If you can find a Forester on which the HG's have already been replaced, you should be in the clear. If you want to avoid the head gasket issue altogether, look for the 90's models with the 2.2 engines (Impreza Outback Sport, Legacy, early Outback).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts