Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well what can i say about the forester i have the pleasure of owning a 99 s turbo with full leather interior and in first class condition. The true wolf in sheep,s clothing this car is a amazing,very subtle understated looks with awesome power and grip.You know the scene when the car beside you at the lights starts reving and you squeeze the throttle and leave them for dust(only when the engine is warm mind you).
As you can see i love my forester i describe it like having an italian girlfriend expensive to run but what a thing to go!!! :woohoo:
I have a few problems with the car like the clutch judder when cold, found a way around it by slightly slipping the clutch and keeping the revs around 3000rpm this goes against my principals of reving a cold engine but i guess its rev the engine or vibrate my way to work in the mornings.
Had to replace the left front wheel bearing it started to make a very annoying sound when i turned even slightly to the right.Difficult job to replace and pretty expensive if you go to a dealer €250.
Check engine light comes on every now and again for short periods lose power for a few seconds then it goes out and returns to normal.Any ideas on this one anybody?I also find that men at filling stations always ask me about the car and if i,d like to sell my beloved!!!Imagine:icon_rolleyes:
Love the forester.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,137 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :biggrin:

Stock Subaru manual transmissions are notoriously difficult at first when cold. Drive gently for a few blocks, shifting as little as possible. Once the transmission fluid gets some heat you should be good to go. Might also want to flush out all of the old transmission fluid and replace it with a high end synthetic gear fluid (plenty of threads/opinions on that in other parts of this forum). Revving the engine and slipping the clutch cold is just wearing parts out faster and is not a long term solution. If the clutch has over 125,000 miles, it might be easier to just replace it.

The wheel bearing was normal maintenance. All of us that keep our Foresters for a long time face that cost at some point. Kinda like the timing belt.

The 'check engine' light probably needs to be diagnosed by someone with a gauge that can read engine codes. If it was only the light turning on, most of us would probably tell you to start by changing out oxygen sensors and see what happens. Since there is a loss of power, however, I'd say skip that and have a reliable mechanic diagnose the problem.

·
New Member Greeter
2011 Octavia vRS DSG
2,403 Posts
Hello Shane and welcome along.

Don't miss out on the Europe forum near the bottom of the front page :icon_wink:

·
Registered
05 sti
9 Posts
hiya Shane, another hello from "up north" - welcome to fozzy heaven !!!!

i bought my fozzy in june & have gotten some gr8 advice & ideas on here - hope u enjoy the site

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,937 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the new Forester! Post up a picture so the members can look it over. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,965 Posts
Hi Shane. Down the road in Wicklow and the same model, year and spec as you have. Two weeks after I got mine the gearbox seized, not funny in a 4 wheel drive as they tend to literally stop dead, and had to be replaced. I got a s/h Foz 2.5 box which is the same but when it was cold, getting it into gear was a little tricky, fairly standard as far as I can tell, but all was fine once the tranny was warmed up. I added some "Molyslip gearbox restorer" that I got on fleabay and have used on cars before with good results. We used to use it on the motorbikes years ago but it hasn't been available over here since the early 80's. It didn't make anything go faster but it did reduce or stop oil consumption and everything felt smoother plus improved mpg. I put some of this in my Foz in the new gearbox and I can get it into gear no problem when it's cold, I can even get it into first while still moving, and cold. I also used the engine oil booster thingy and auto tranny stuff by Molyslip on my Honda Accord VTEC with noticeable improvements and will probably use it on my next car too. Try this link, if it doesn't work let me know and I can PM you the page link. Molyslip 2001® slick G restore UR Gearbox 50 xbeter on eBay (end time 05-Jan-10 22:47:03 GMT). Yes, the Foz is an understated and subtle powerhouse (I would actually like to pull the S Turbo badge, drop an intercooler below the rad and change the bonnet from an N/A Foz to make it even more subtle) and I would choose it over an Imprezza which is a hooligans car and a bit obvious.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts