Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just purchased a '99 Forester S with 98000 miles for my wife. Seems to be an excellent vehicle and she's extremely happy with it - actually picked it out on her own.

We did purchase it from a used car dealer but we don't have the owners manual, so I'm stumped on a few minor things:
1. We do have a single remote for the vehicle and I made copies of the key. The copies do work to get in the door BUT the alarm goes off!!! Do you really have to use the remote to unlock? There's got to be a way to unlock with only the key, right?
2. The Forester has the roof rack rails that go from side to side. These obviously can be moved towards the front or rear. How do you unlock these so they can be moved?

Thanks! We are very happy with our new (to us) Subaru so far!

·
Registered
1999 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls! :bacon:

It sounds like the factory alarm is activated... but didn't think that there was one on the 99's but this link might be helpful in figuring out how to program the alarm system.
Subaru Keyless Entry, Security Alarm, Immobilizer Key, Remote Start Systems. Most years and models
Thanks Duderotomy! I did actually find this website last night but it doesn't specifically answer the question. I may try to play around with this this weekend though.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,795 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on your new Forester. Post up picture so we can look it over. :wink:

If you register at MySubaru, you can view you Owner's Manual there. It's free & there's lots of other useful stuff there as well. :smile:

As to the roof cross bars, if it factory, I believe it just requires a torx screwdriver... usually in the tool kit that comes with the vehicle. If it's aftermarket, it may require a special security tool. :confused:

AFAIK, the only way to lock your Forester without setting the security alarm, is the lock all the door, except the driver's door, close the driver's door & lock it with the key. I believe if you lock the door & close it, that will activate the security system. That's just another way to set the security system.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts