Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow Subaru Owners!

My name is Sean and I have bought my first ever Subaru Forester! I have been waiting about 5 years for this day! I'm 24 and have wanted one ever since I got a lift in my friends mum's car while at Uni!

I bought a 2004 2.5X model. Has done 140 000 km and was owned by a lady so I hope she was gentle with it! LOL. See the pics below!

Just recently did the following to 'her' to make sure she is at her best:

• New Oil / Filter
  • New Fuel Filter
  • New Spark Plugs
  • New Brake Fluid
  • New Clutch Oil
  • New Gearbox Oil
  • New Rear Diff Oil
  • New Air Filter
  • Replaced Coolant
  • New Water Pump
  • New timing belt + idlers (ouch, this cost $750 on its own! - there was a slight rattle so I decided to be on the safe side and spend the money now than wait for it to snap and pay thousands more in repairs!)

Noticed such a difference in performance and just the 'feel' of the car after doing this service. Took apart the Fuel filter and boy was it dirty, so now at least there is a shiny new one in there, doing a good job!

Running the car on BP Ultimate 98 RON always!

A question for 2004 owners if there are many - have any of you had head gasket problems? If so, what happened and how much is it roughly to replace a head gasket? Any rough estimates?

Thanks and I look forward to engaging in some good topics and conversation!

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Sean,

Awesome pick-up, looks pretty tidy.

Head on over to its the Australian version of this site & there's plenty of info on there.
Thanks! Will check it out but hope to hang around here too :woohoo:

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Welcome to one of the best Forester forums I know of, hope you do stick around here.

Prices for head gaskets are going to be a guesstimate depending on how the work is done and what additional work needs doing while it's apart. For example some mechanics are comfortable doing the gaskets on the car and some prefer pulling the motor (not that much harder) so everything is easily accessible. For some accurate quotes you might be better off asking one of your mates on the Regional Forum here.

For example the heads should be checked for trueness and milled if necessary, cylinder head decarboned, valves may have to be reseated, valve guides, seals, piston rings etc all could need servicing or replacement. My advice is if you are planning to keep the car and are needing the gaskets replaced, don't take the cheap route, you've gotten it apart so service what needs servicing, Subarus do last a long time.

If you currently have no leaking or other suspect issues related to the head gaskets, make sure you use the coolant conditioner that Subaru sells and add it to your coolant. It's a stop gap measure incase a leak develops, but you still may need to do the head gaskets eventually.

Periodically do an inspection yourself while the motors cool, use a small hand held mirror or extendable one and check under the cylinder heads for any leakage, shining a flashlight into the mirror will illuminate the underside of the cylinder heads. What seems to be the common area on the engine that leaks first is on the right (facing the engine from in front) side closest to the firewall.

You can also help out by adding some vehicle info to your Signature, that way it shows up every time you post. Just go into your User CP, Edit Signature and add info such as year/model/transmission.

Enjoy the forum made by lots of great members. See you around soon.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,109 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the new Forester, love the red color! Thanks for posting pictures. :cool:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,136 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The head gasket issue is very rare on the 2004 and later Foresters. Unless you have good reason to suspect that it is a problem, I wouldn't worry about it. Another way to find out if it is an issue is to have an analysis of your motor oil performed. That will let you know if coolant is mixing into the oil.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum. The head gasket issue is very rare on the 2004 and later Foresters. Unless you have good reason to suspect that it is a problem, I wouldn't worry about it. Another way to find out if it is an issue is to have an analysis of your motor oil performed. That will let you know if coolant is mixing into the oil.
Thanks for that!

Nice ride by the way! ;) :woohoo:

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,136 Posts
Nice ride by the way! ;)
Thank you. I got my 2004 Forester new in November of 2003. It just had its first mechanical repair this past week. Coolant was leaking from the seal between the metal engine block and plastic thermostat housing. Apparently this is a common spot to have a problem with leaks. Might want to check it out. Otherwise all I've done so far has been regular maintenance (fluids, belts, bulbs, tires, etc...).

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the welcome messages!

Next on my list is to tint the windows and install a muffler :)

Anyone has any suggestions / recomendations on the muffler :)

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts