Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I've been lurking for a few months now. I've been selling Subarus for about 2 years, and have an '09 5-speed Legacy on lease, which is ending in a few months.

The original plan was to buy my mom's '04 Forester XS and put her into a 2010 Forester Premium, hence my signing up here a few months ago to check out the scene, but that changed when she discovered skydiving and decided to divert her new car money towards her solo certification lessons, haha.

I've been scouting around for a good $10-14,000-ish car to get into once my lease is up, and earlier this week I found a 5-speed Saabaru 9-2X at our Honda dealership about 90 minutes from where I work. Impreza with more features for thousands less due to crappy Saab resale value, what's not to love? But about 20 other people had the same idea as me because the dealer priced it too low, and it was sold before I was able to make the drive out.

Bummed out, I arrived at work the next day, when my used car manager said "you're going to be glad you lost out on that Saabaru when you see what's coming in on trade today at 3:30..."

Intrigued, I waited til the afternoon, when I saw a very elderly couple pull up in this:

and check this out:

....aaaand I happily bought it. :bananapartyhat:It's ABSOLUTELY IMMACULATE.

It's a 2001 Forester S with dimming mirror, and automatic transmission. I always drove stick shift, but in this car, I actually don't really mind that it's an automatic.

Seriously I can explain how clean this is. We all were standing around looking at it the other day and we came to the conclusion that this may actually be the nicest original-condition SF Forester in the country.

I detailed the interior today, and Thursday it's getting a serious claybarring and waxing, but man, it's in such unbelievable condition. Over the next week or so I'm giving it oil/filter change, trans fluid and diff oil change, coolant flush, air filter, and then it's set.

Short term mod plans:
-Rally Innovations light bar on front with two round Cibie Oscar foglights
-double din head unit with aux input and Sirius, and some good speakers, nothing crazy though
-wide bar Thule rack for bike/cargo pod
-thicker sway bars, mayyybe

Long term:
-seeing how long I can possibly keep it running and in good condition (and as original condition as possible), and when that fails, put all Impreza/WRX suspension bits and a WRX engine/transmission in it :D

But in all likelihood I will probably embrace it's utility and pseudo-off road capability and get another car that's sportier when the mood strikes, keeping this as a utility vehicle.

I became strangely attached to her even before I signed the paperwork, there's something about this car that makes me so happy haha. I don't usually get like that over cars so I dunno what's up with this one.

Even my girlfriend, who normally thinks every car I like is ugly (I have odd tastes in cars), said "You know, I'm really glad you got that Forester, I think it's going to be a good match. I think it's growing on me, it's cute..."

but then she followed that up with, "cute like how a pug is so ugly that it's cute."

:icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Holy moley, that's a nice find!

but then she followed that up with, "cute like how a pug is so ugly that it's cute."

:icon_biggrin:
I know exactly what she means. My brother used to give me crap for getting the ugly Forester but now when I say it's homely, he tells me it's not that bad. Something about this car just grows on you...

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
You're kidding, 26k original miles on an '01... that's a heck of a find, congrats!

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

They also traded in an '05 XS Premium with like 22,000 miles. Traded both on a '10 Limited.

I'm a sucker for the SF body though :D

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is that 05 still hanging around??? im guess it mostly got grabbed tho........
No it's actually for sale still, we had a customer try to buy it on Saturday but they couldn't get approved for a loan. I'm not sure if I am breaking any forum rules for solicitation, but if you're interested in it, send me a private message and I can give you more info.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5MT
826 Posts
Great find! If you plan on off-roading, I've read the AT is a better choice - especially when hill-climbing - due to the gear ratios on first and second gear. For a quick and cheap suspension upgrade for now, you might want to check out the Swift springs and KYB GR-2 struts. I did that set-up for about $400 plus installation, and it handles like a friggen sportscar, yet still has some ground clearance for light off-roading and driving through snow, and its still a durable daily-driver setup. A used set of WRX wagon springs will work, too, if you can find them cheap, but will sit a little lower than the Swifts.

Good luck with it, and have fun. Oh, and since you're in PA, check out the 48 Hours of Tri-State event coming up in January; we have a growing Forester clique every year.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Well done.

When I need a new car I think I will camp outside a local Subie dealership and wait for some old timers to show up. I can't believe that mileage. I hope they have done a few more oil changes than 5ish over 8 years.
Yeah thats crazy mileage, thats less than what I average per year!

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha thanks, oh man I love the Forester. I have like 7,000 miles left on my Legacy lease and put my Blizzak WS-60's on my Legacy, thinking I'd take the winter to use up my lease mileage, but I've been driving the Forester nonstop since I bought it.

I don't get it- it isn't the greatest handling vehicle, it's slow, and the seat is uncomfortable, but I LOVE THE THING. I never have had such affection for a car. I can't explain why. But I took it to Jim Thorpe, PA to go mountain biking on sunday and I loved every second of the drive.

Yesterday I put on Thule 440 Specialty bars:

and a Thule fork-mount bike rail, and it's looking pretty sweet. Plus the rack has a nice howling noise that adds to the symphony of all the other wind noise from this very un-aerodynamic vehicle, haha.

I can't wait to get my Rally Innovations light bar with some Cibie Oscars, but that likely won't be til after Christmas. Plus I want to finish some routine maintenance on it too before I start buying toys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts