Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I am going to inherit my bro's Forester in a month or so, and i am trying to get out in front of anything that i might need to know about the car. Plus cruising the forum here has made me jealous. I doubt i will do much with the car as it is at 122k and in decent running shape but nothing special on the outside. Maybe some lights in the factory nudge bar? I am sure there are pics of this somewhere in the forum but it feels like a missed the boat and now all the talk is about the newer generations but i am sure there is plenty of good stuff to be done to mine i just don't know it yet. If there is anything i should know about this particular year and model a heads up would be sweet. TIA

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Welcome Snowking!! You'll find plenty of info on your Fozzie here on the forums and there are numerous things you can do to give it a little "umph!"

Hope you enjoy yourself here!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,546 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the new Forester! There's lots of good information on the earlier models. Try the forum search function & post your question if you can find an answer via a search. :wink:

One thing that comes to mind with 122 K miles. Make sure the timing belt & associated parts were changed at 105K miles. It's an expensive service, but much less costly than a new engine. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies fellows, Yeah i know the timing belt need to be done. I have a mechanic that will work on pretty much whatever and he doesn't mind if i buy my own parts. Should i just get a timing belt kit off of ebay? this is what i did for my current 99 acura and everything went smooth.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Just a heads up, Subaru 2.5L naturally aspirated engines have a history of needing head gaskets around 100K. You may want to lump this work in with the timing belt as there is some overlapping labor.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a heads up, Subaru 2.5L naturally aspirated engines have a history of needing head gaskets around 100K. You may want to lump this work in with the timing belt as there is some overlapping labor.
I have heard some rumblings about this in the forums, is it a universal problem? I know my brother changes his oil regularly and it has never burned oil. So basically what i am getting at is are all forester's fated to eventually have head gasket problems or is it hit and miss? But good call, when i do the timing belt i would assume to do this as well along with water pump etc...

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
I'd do the water pump at the same time as the timing belt as you're in there anyway. I'd also recommend the tensioner assembly as well - just for insurance. I would NOT recommend picking up the e-Bay kits - usually (at best) the seconds that were rejected by Subaru for not meeting standards - (at worst) incomplete kits or generic parts that will fail pre-maturely.
Honestly, the entire package of parts shouldn't cost you more than ~$550-600 for everything...
...and when you consider that is done once every 105k miles, breaking it down to cost per mile, isn't that much.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
I have heard some rumblings about this in the forums, is it a universal problem? I know my brother changes his oil regularly and it has never burned oil. So basically what i am getting at is are all forester's fated to eventually have head gasket problems or is it hit and miss? But good call, when i do the timing belt i would assume to do this as well along with water pump etc...
Not just forester, there seems to be a large number of the subaru 2.5L NAs that will require HG before the 150K point with the largest portion failing in the 80K-120K mileage range. I would say you can almost count on it, However if the repair is done properly you can expect them to last another 100K+.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not just forester, there seems to be a large number of the subaru 2.5L NAs that will require HG before the 150K point with the largest portion failing in the 80K-120K mileage range. I would say you can almost count on it, However if the repair is done properly you can expect them to last another 100K+.
Ok so on the outside chance that i have one that will make it to 150k, what would the symptoms be of a premature HG failure? Like i said this one has 122k so it sounds like i am right in that mileage range where it things can go wrong.

Don't worry to much i will be looking into this more deeply then needs to be covered in in the intro forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts