Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Please somebody tell me that it doesn't matter which way you put on the HG. I torqued them up last night and as I was falling asleep the thought occured that although they lined up with the old markings they could be on the wrong sides?!

The engine is still out so it wouldn't be hard to change them but it probably means getting fresh ones right? Is there any way to check if they are on the right side if it matters?

please help!!!

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
Don't forget that these motors have torque to spec bolts. If you used the old ones this time, and you have to pull it back apart, REPLACE THEM. As for your problem, I feel your pain. I did that on a chevy 350 once and it overheated immediately. No hole for water ports. Someone here must know the aswer to this one!!!

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
hmm id imagine not if you don't see the HG poking out of places.. did you at least line up all the holes and stuff? im pretty sure out HGs are not symmetrical from what i remember.

ooh do you mean left gasket on right side and vice versa? isn't there only one part number for HGs?

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, like left on right and right on left. Not sure if it is even possible. I read one guy saying its not possible on some random forum on the internet but his post was short so don't know if I should trust it or not.

Didn't mention but this is for a SOHC 2.5L (99 Forester).

Crapping my pants here. I hope someone has the answer.:chair:

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
There is no left or right, same p/n for both. But YES you can put it on backwards. The top is NOT symmetrical. On the drivers side toward the front is the oil supply passage. It's toward the rear of the passenger side.

So IF you put them on backward, that will stick up in the air, obvious to those who know to look for it, and DEADLY to the camshaft on that side if you run the engine like that with no oil in that galley.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SIGH OF RELIEF...

Let me get this straight - IF I put them on backwards I would see part of the gasket poking out right?

To clarify, I did make sure all of the old lines from the old gasket matched up with the new ones. And no, there is no gasket poking out from where the head and block join up.

If there is no difference between putting them on the left or right side I think I am safe here. If you guys could confirm this you achieve sainthood immediately.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
No sainthood, just experience. But YES , so long as there is no gasket sticking up along the top edge near the rear drivers side, or top front passenger side, you should be good.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I can say is Ferrets kick ***.

Thanks man.

I will check tonight when I get home and report back.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
Here is a picture with the proper p/n for either side. The oil supply hole is on the upper left side. As you compare it to the lower left side, you will notice the top would stick out above the head/block mating surface and would be visible IF installed backward.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/3283861206_3f3c4d3746.jpg

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it would. I will look for that. Thanks for the pic. way easier to understand.

To comment on an earlier post in the thread, I called to get a price quote from Subaru on the head bolts and they said they always reuse them and have never had an issue. So that is what I did.

Any comments on whether this is valid?

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
I have always reused Subaru Bolts ....... Ford or Mopar torque to yield, I ALWAYS replace.

PS ... you a hockey fan? I follow players not teams ..... you guys have Iglina, Jokinen, Dawes, Phanuef and Kiprusoff I watch when their game is on Versus by us.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha - yes. They have been a bit frustrating to watch. I guess they are consistently inconsistent as a team - they should be much better than they are when you look at the roster.

Parise is doing well this year eh? You guys just need to nudge out the penguins here.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
Haha - yes. They have been a bit frustrating to watch. I guess they are consistently inconsistent as a team - they should be much better than they are when you look at the roster.

Parise is doing well this year eh? You guys just need to nudge out the penguins here.
Like I said, I follow players ... my wife is a die hard Ranger fan, both teenagers love the Pens. I see good players on both and the Devils for our locals. Tavares and Biron are also great locals for us to watch on the Islanders.
Love to see the All Star games every year and would LOVE to get tickets to ANY of the Winter Classics ..... Outdoor Hockey, no matter how cold, would be a great experience.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Checked it out Last night and it is all good. The gasket matches up well and you can even make out where that oil supply hole is and see that the gasket matches.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
Glad to be of any help. Even better, you don't have to re-do as an exercise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts