Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

161 - 180 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
@GTEASER, The trade in deal is very very tempting... Although I never have mine plugged in. Its stored away until I actually need it...

Challenging part is blending in the costs with Minion #1 birthday in a couple weeks and Christmas... :frown2:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
And completely un-car related.... Except for the multiple trips to Lowes to get the correct little bits...

Installed a new 4-filter set up for the fridge... Well, 5 if you include the filter in the fridge. It is nice having water taste like water again.

Tucked away in the cabinet above the fridge that we never use.
[/url]

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Happy Thanksgiving to me...

Radiator let go on way home from in-laws. Luckily it was only a ten Mile drive and did it on the last bit into the garage.

Unluckily a KoyoRad direct drop in is a week shipment.

Not looking forward to calling the stealership tomorrow.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
NAPA top quality part here. 30 seconds out of box and compression hard-line falls off. 😡 No name Made In China product = fail. BUT you had it in stock. I did not do my diligence of inspecting radiator in the store, but looks like I should have.

If it were a KOYO Radiator, this wouldn't have happened. But, the local KOYO warehouse ~10 miles from me doesn't allow general public pick up... :crying:
2-5 business days on shipping.

Going to plan C tomorrow.

on Flickr

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Got it back from dealership last night. Got 20 feet into it and decided to check engine cover/under tray. Neither were re-installed even though I had placed them into the cargo area and advised Service Rep.

Rep was cool, tech was lazy. As s/he had to pull out the old radiator box to retrieve plastic trash bag I had in there so I could return it to NAPA for a refund.

Had to wait another 30 minutes for them to complete their task.

If ordering the parts through them... 3-5 business days. Me taking the car in for service. Parts sent overnight at their cost. :confused:

I'll be eating Top Ramen for a while to offset the final tab. Especially with Minion #1 birthday & Christmas around the corner.. :crying:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #166

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Purchased a new to me 2013 STi muffler and intermediate pipe today. While I already have the intermediate pipe it was part of the deal. I painted the back of them flat black so they'll be ready for install this weekend.

After buggering up my experiment on the `16's and going with the stock mufflers for a while. I've missed the low burble...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Caught the corvette that passed me a few minutes early wondering where his tire was...

Note, rolling down the right side shoulder...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Took it to America's Tire for another round of free rotation/balance....

When they got to wheel #4 they nearly broke two studs. Luckily they followed my instructions from the get go of using hand tools. As if they used the gun on them, they would have been broken for sure. Plus they were adjacent studs, not spread out.

Brought it home after they reinstalled the wheels, but not re-balanced, installed two new studs. And for added benefit five new lug-nuts.

Still need them rotated/balanced... Going back tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Had an occasional electrical/plastic burnt smell coming through the HVAC vents. Normally after 15-20 of initial warm up.

Turns out the bottom radiator hose bib was loose enough to let coolant seep and splash onto the heat shield.

Tightened it up, and smell-be-gone. At least I hope that was the culprit.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Had an occasional electrical/plastic burnt smell coming through the HVAC vents. Normally after 15-20 of initial warm up.

Turns out the bottom radiator hose bib was loose enough to let coolant seep and splash onto the heat shield.

Tightened it up, and smell-be-gone. At least I hope that was the culprit.
Hope it isn't the water pump weep hole.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
From the looks of it, it was the lower RAD hose. The thermostat was replaced during my debacle by the local dealership.

Its been too rainy out to truly determine if gone, but no observed coolant loss yet.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Was at MLD for a lazy oil change/car wash yesterday. It's been a little chilly here so I used that as an excuse... :wink2:

While waiting I perused a `19 Ascent Premium with #12 package... (No sunroof, but fancy mirror doodad + "splash guards" ) The thing is huge. I knew it was big, but sitting in it again reminded me how much bigger it is over my Forester, and the `19 Outback sitting next to the Ascent in the showroom.

The cloth seats are okay. No lumbar support for driver and no height adjustability for the passenger. That 2nd row bench is just as brutal as the Tribeca.

This dealer below did an overlay comparing the Ascent with the Outback. Numbers are one thing, seeing the visual difference is :surprise:

The Ascent is way to big for my family. I have a parental unit thinking of changing out her `16 Outback for an Ascent. I'm trying to talk her out of it because she doesn't need it. She's in her 80's, and the car she has should be the last one for her. :|

Now to wait and see if Subaru will re-install the turbo engine into the Forester, of which is probably unlikely due to how quick they fly off the lots.
And the Outback... I know that one is a given as they need a replacement for the flat six.

Time to save my pesos. :crying:

https://www.natewade.com/research/subaru-ascent-model-comparison-information-salt-lake-city-ut.htm

2019 Subaru Ascent 7 passenger research webpage

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
I mentioned to my wife this morning I had an odd dream of stripping the XT of my minimal mods to get it ready for sale in order to get the 2020 Outback with its 2.4T engine.

Obviously it isn't released yet and only surmising the engine will be plopped in since SOA is doing it with the Legacy.

First she laughed, then said no way. Doing so will take away any cool dad points I have left. lol She also said I'm not a little old lady. Which a majority of Outbacks in our area are driven by.

Plus my Mom has one and I think that was an influence in it too. Lol

Besides cost she did the .... Something Something probably won't fit in the garage statement that we toss back and forth to each other. :laugh::nerd:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Minion #1 closed the garage door on the open hatch again. This time the driver side gap is open enough to see the safety catch. It opens/closes, but will need to take it in to my local body shop and get a 2nd opinion...

161 - 180 of 214 Posts