Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

141 - 160 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I've been to Penske Subaru twice, sorry... Subaru Orange Coast. Once to order parts, the other to pick them up. It was the one time they beat Irvine Subaru on a price. I usually order Subaru parts though SubaruGenuineParts.com

I laughed a little too loud when they quoted $100 for an oil change.

I've been going to Irvine Subaru for the last 18 years... SOC has a nicer building though...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Had to order a new 12v to 5v converter for my Dash Cam today. After three years of 24/7 usage it decided to crap out.

I paid ~$10 for it for a "quality" made in Republic Of China item and it didn't burn down my car during the interim. I guess I cannot complain too much. lol

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #144 (Edited)
(Cliff Note version, I sealed the wrong port)

Oh yay to forgetfulness..... :|

Before the family road trip I had started a project with the WRX mufflers to permanently seal one of the exhaust ports so it would eliminate the near miniscule off idle boom in the cabin. (Wife's ears, not mine)

After the trip I had forgotten which port was to be sealed. And deciding to skip remounting the mufflers to determine which was the correct port. I went straight ahead into seal the wrong port. :surprise:

- I had mounted the stock mufflers for the trip...

After cutting out the discs to size/shape. I dropped in a pair of the $7 baffles via the slow boat from China on eBay with a dab of JB weld to hold it in place. After letting that cure, I dropped in the discs with a lot more JB weld to seal any gaps. - Success in creating air tight seal was obtained. :woohoo:

After a full cure process and remounting the mufflers I have achieved exactly what I didn't want to happen. That is sealing the incorrect port. :crying:

I say that because the accidental unsealed port received the least amount of air flow routing restriction. (Picture #3)

The port I did seal created enough turbulence in the muffler can, which in a small effect, got rid of the drone and off idle boominess that only the wife could hear. :confused:

Because I sealed the wrong port the off idle booming is ridiculous. Once you get above 1k rpm it is fine. And the XT is quite happy. Heck the booming gives me a headache while it is in the warming up process. (Whoops)

My decision in using the 51mm baffles was to eliminate the SS ScotchBrite Scrubber. I didn't know how they'd handle being in a sealed environment over the long term. Plus the angled cup on them helped hold them in place and allowed easier fitment of the SS discs I had cut.

Needless to say these will be going up for sale for cheap. Like in the $25 category for someone else to experiment with. lol That JB weld will not come off willingly.

Items used:

JB Weld - Original formula, not QuickSet - $6
51 mm Universal Motorcycle Exhaust Baffles - $7
2x ~2.125" discs cut from 20Gauge SS - Already on hand.

51mm Exhaust baffles
on Flickr

JB weld
on Flickr

`16 WRX Muffler cutaway - Picture obtain from the Interwebs….:thumbsup:
mufflers4 by Chris McCrary, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Time to save my pennies for an Invidia Q300, SPT single tip, or Nameless 5" muffler for the XT...

The stock cans really stifle the Subaru sound....:frown2:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Today.... Minion #1 parked his BMX bike into the back of my bumper at speed.... Thought I was getting away with only a ding. But with closer examination the spider cracks have been started. :frown2:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Got me a new-to-me toy.... Loaded the Stage 1 map.... And what a wonderful little contraption full of one's and zero's...

Now I should probably read up and decide if I need the 91ACN map to accompany the CA Crap 91 gas I suffer with. 99.999% sure I "should"...

The off idle throttle touchiness is gone. More oomph is lovely. And hwy gas mileage has increased. - Day trip to San Diego... 22mpg down. 27.8 coming back up... (68-70mph each way due to traffic) :grin2:

, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Yes, run the 91ACN (Arizona-California-Nevada) map, it will be safer for the motor seeing as our CA gas is crap.

Ideally you should get a custom tune, because it will be even safer, but you gas mileage will go down as a result of more safety because it will be richer.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I know. But it took me this long to save my pennies for the hand me down V2 I picked up.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

141 - 160 of 214 Posts