Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

121 - 140 of 227 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Working on an exhaust leak... Put Minion#1 to work... It is strange rolling on stock exhaust until I can get the welds at the modified flanges corrected. Wife will be happy though. =/

Those tips look puny versus the WRX tips.... May need to go window shopping for a set on the stock mufflers... :nerd:

on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
Now that I'm on the stock mufflers for a bit.... I have been looking at upgrading the exhaust tips as the OEM's are so wimpy.

These have caught my eye... Although per my measurements I'll need to trim .50-1.0" off the small side so they do not stick so far out.

Yes, the `16 WRX muffler tips stuck way out and I was used to it. But with single tips, I feel they may need to be tucked under a bit...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Dual-Wall-4-Out-2-25-Inlet-Stainless-Exhaust-Tips-for-Subaru-Forester-XT/252830944217?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l9372

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
These arrived the other day from @Diode Dynamics Still in mid-swap out mode... >:)>:)>:)

And haven't test driven them yet. Only in garage. :banana:

on Flickr

Original OEM High Beam/DRL bulb comparison.

The gold sharpie within the circle is what I saw when attempting to clip it in. I took a small filing rasp and filed it down for all of 30 seconds worth to obtain enough clearance for the clip to "click-in" place. (Area closer to thumb :grin2:)

Passenger Side Mounting. - Cable ties were trimmed after picture.

The gold sharpie within the circle is what I saw when attempting to clip it in. I took a small filing rasp and filed it down for all of 30 seconds worth to obtain enough clearance for the clip to "click-in" place.

Driver side mounting. - Cable ties were trimmed after picture. And rotated the Winshield Washer filler mount out of way for easier access.

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
Installed the Diode Dynamics SLF Foglight bulbs this morning... Used cable ties to secure the ballasts/voltage regulator...

I did not have to shave down the little retainer clip like I did on the SL1's. A solid push of a flat blade screw driver got the clasps to catch.

Now I need to wait for it to get dark. :|

9006s - Original OEM bulb vs Diode Dynamics SLF vs Cougar Motor 6K LED (Amazon special)

I had to remove the little cap on the Cougar's to fit within the fog-light housing. The DD's fit without issue.

Cougar Motor Glare Galore for oncoming motorists, but it is damned bright!

Diode Dynamics SLF - Great cutoff area and seem not as bright as ^^. At least in daylight when holding up a piece of blank cardboard... (Pictures of those didn't turn out.)

on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #125 (Edited)
Finally got a few night shots. Need to re-shoot the fog lights from a stand still. =/

Fogs on...

DD SL1s 9005 as high beams. (DRL disconnected)
on Flickr

DD SLF's 9006 as fog lights.
2018_0429_195319_440_Moment(2) by Chris McCrary, on Flickr

DD High Beams.

HID

HID+Fog

High Beams

HID

Fog lights on.

High Beams on.
on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Amazon special (Cougar Motor 6K LED) vs Diode Dynamics SLF's...

The DD's have a great cut off versus the CM's and have a better OEM color matching @ 5700k. Not as bright when driving, but that's due to two things. The under-powering of them as compared to the SL1's in the high beams. (1630 vs 850 Lumens) and the unfocused light from the CM's scattering light every where.

CM - 9006

DD SLF - 9006

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Test drive....

Its time for a new dash cam... Night time capture is starting to deteriorate after three years of 24/7 usage... :|

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #128 (Edited)
Playing with exhaust tips that arrived Friday... Need to decide whether to notch the ends and obtain a clamp to bolt them on, or shorten the stock muffler pipe from the muffler and have them welded on. Going the latter route means not being able to put stock tips on for any future reason that I cannot think of at the moment.

These are the ones I linked in Post #122

on Flickr

These are pressed flush against the muffler and are not past the bumper. Unlike the WRX exhaust tips.

on Flickr

on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Forgot... Doing a summer road trip with the family.. As much as the WRX mufflers are nice around SoCal I'd like to keep them at the end of the trip... =P

The stock exhaust tips are too wimpy to be rolling around on.

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Replaced my dead 3 year old Street Guardian dash cam with their latest version...

It is amazing how things look when in focus and not full of horizontal striping lines at night... :surprise:

Now to wait for dark to retake those @Diode Dynamic LED test shots...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/street-guardian-sggcx2-–-2018-new-model.32726/

I got mine for cheaper than below due to repeat customer and already having a memory card... :nerd:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076ZYPTPF/?coliid=IHX6X7X2WUZOD&colid=2XVN7YJ0OHMUJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Added this thread as my "homepage". Either I am getting lazy or more efficient when needing to refer to it. heh.

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Took it to my favorite America's Tire Store yesterday for free rotate/balance....

Worker Bee #1 didn't read the notes to NOT use air guns when working on the XT...
Worker Bee #2 reminded #1 after he already broke a stud when removing the lug nut... :frown2::shrug:

Feeling lazy, took it to the place the recommend for free replacement. Already four cars in line... And advised two hour wait... :surprise:

Ended up replacing it myself within an hour. That included snagging a new stud from them, new lug nut from Costco for an all in price of $.50 + tax and my time to make the repair...

So glad it was on a rear wheel at least...

And today.... Oil Change at the Stealership.... They raised their price from $50 to $70.... Time to go back to doing it myself. That free car wash is no longer a benefit.... :crying:

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Yay for family road trips... 1100 mile loop through Yosemite/Sacramento/San Francisco...

Before covering all the museum bases... Trains/Boats/Submarines/Planes/Cars... We did Yosemite NP, including a minor detour for a "50 acre" brush fire at the beginning of the trip. Sadly said fire is still burning.

Cheapest gas paid $3.49 at Costco.
Most Expensive $5.51 within Yosemite NP due to the fire... :surprise:

Only did a Splash N Go to make sure I had enough to get down the hill as there was no electricity in the town we were staying in.

Loaded

A little "off roading"

The wife trying some of Sacramento's finest "House Wine"...

Minion #1 finding trees...

24 hours after that little brush fire detour.... (View from the entrance of our way overpriced for what it is Lodge...

View from the room.

Minion #1 capturing the rare ultra tourist eating ice cream scene...

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Removed the cargo pod and cross bars this morning.... The mother trucker got away from me and glanced off the paint between the sunroof and top windshield... :yell::censored::censored:

The car is screaming for a full wash/wax. But with it dirty the light scratches the size of my hand don't seem "too bad". :shrug:

I do not have a power buffer/polishing wheel. Looks like I may have to break down and take it in for a full detail. Something it has never had, but hesitant due to prices.

Especially after road trip expenses incurred. Oh, did I mention ordering a new gas range when we got back as the 20yr old Kenmoore died. Broiling cookies is never a good idea. Or a roast. lol

Plus we have new windows for the house enroute too... (Replacing 1987 original single pane)

What's another $225-$250 :|

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Yesterday I took the wife's `16 impreza with 9669 miles on it for its six month annual oil change. This time with complimentary tire rotation... (24.9 avg gas mileage in stop n go street traffic)

We have one more free service left on it after 31 months of ownership... She drives it every day, but not very far mind you. :wink2:

But while waiting, the dealership had three Ascents on the lot. One already sold, and none with leather interior nor the giant sunroofs...

Minion #2 was with me and she was very opinionated on them. :laugh:

3 rows with 2nd as a bench reminds me of the Tribeca, ouch.

3 rows with 2nd as captain chairs is quite nice and much softer material. Although the 3rd row would always be folded down for us.

All had push button start and oversized Outback wheels, yuck.

Nice interior layout although the angle of the GUI would be prone to disappearing with the sun shining on it at certain times of the day, imo

Would need to drive it to determine blind spot concerns

And definitely way beyond our means right now. :| Which is probably a godsend.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
279 Posts
U go to Subaru Orange coast in Santa Ana I guess. They had a pre order fall through so there is a white one with (I think leather and sunroof) available... I think... can’t remember 100% but confident.

Maybe your use Irvine idk what ever not super important at any rate...

I think the FXT is a better vehicle for me and my needs after looking at the accent pretty closely. I do not like the dash on the accent not the wheels, nor the back seat / cargo area situation. The seats are comfy though. But I bet it’s SLOW!

I won’t be going back to them at any rate. To much push back and bs that I don’t have patience for with the service dot. Hoping I can get my 2 - 3 remaining services (pre paid for at time of purchase) done at Forman or ant spec... but I haven’t looked at it seriously as I think I’ll be disappointed.

121 - 140 of 227 Posts