Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

221 - 228 of 228 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Took the XT in yesterday for the 90k service. I'm getting to a point where it takes too much out of me physically to do it myself...

While there I mentioned a ticking sound through the firewall that started around Thanksgiving. Slowly getting loud, and rpm specific.

Was advised it was the Fuel Dampers that failed. Something the service writer has never heard of having to be replaced. (She's been there 10+ years)
Of course a special order..... I asked if they could regularly order it so it'd be cheaper, but she said no. ;) (Never hurts to ask)

Also had Passenger airbag replaced a second time. I was given a peachy 2019 Chevrolet Malibu LT as a free rental car. My local dealership contracts with neighboring Enterprise... As their Subaru loaners are limited.

Gave the loaner back after 24 hours, but need to take the XT back when parts come in.

February is an expensive month for me and its not over. =/

·
Super Moderator
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Still waiting on those Fuel Dampeners. Apparently they will take two weeks to get here. Seems like they're coming from Japan, even though the dealership won't say where they are coming from.

On a good note. Found a place to install my Bilstein struts next week. I've got too much on my plate with the running program at my daughters school and son's flag football season as a coach starting soon too...

The first place I called wanted $780 plus alignment. Definitely a "We don't really want to do it quote"... The place I'm going with is less than half that...

·
Super Moderator
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Replaced 3 out of 4 struts with my garage aged Bilsteins.... Ordered through ShockWarehouse dot com... Great customer service. Unfortunately when Bilstein drop shipped them to me from Reno, NV.... One strut was labeled incorrectly. Correct box, correct label, incorrect strut. I received two front lefts.... Whoopsie Daisy.

Replacement unit already on the way. I'll install then do an alignment when it gets here.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
364 Posts
Replaced 3 out of 4 struts with my garage aged Bilsteins.... Ordered through ShockWarehouse dot com... Great customer service. Unfortunately when Bilstein drop shipped them to me from Reno, NV.... One strut was labeled incorrectly. Correct box, correct label, incorrect strut. I received two front lefts.... Whoopsie Daisy.

Replacement unit already on the way. I'll install then do an alignment when it gets here.

Are those B4 or B6 model? How is the ride quality compared to stock? Nice FXT!

·
Super Moderator
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
@Forester1966, these are B6's for the SH generation. Considering the oem units had 92k+ miles on them. They are a world of difference. Even if I still have one OEM strut until the replacement comes in.

The undulations are gone. It seems nice and tight again. Even after 25 miles I'm happy again. - I was having 2 plus compression/rebound on bigger bumps, especially with cargo.

On my `01 RS I had a ProDrive set up... Bilstein B6's with Eibach springs and those were heavens above the best setup I've ever had.

Got them through Shockwarehouse. The people there have been great. Excellent customer service.

I also purchased new KYB Strut Mounts, new Subaru Camber bolts + the other bottom bolt, and rubber spring bushings (between the spring at bottom of the strut mount)

·
Super Moderator
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Got Strut #4 installed this morning and an alignment. Even though only lowered ~1.5", it makes the left front caster a little messy.

But I'll take it. I definitely recommend this small two man shop. (The owner's wife also drives a Forester XT)

·
Super Moderator
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Took the family for another Sunday drive ESCAPE THE HOUSE adventure....

This week, inland... Last week along the coast.

~2hours 100+/- miles of green hills with a little twisty road tossed in...

The crap and broken concrete 15N highway made me start to rethink the B6 struts over the B4's. Definitely a jittery ride for a while. But once things smoothed out on the 91/55 with its smoother concrete and asphalt. I thought, it wasn't so bad...

But still wonder if I should have gone with the B4's... Or how their behavior would change once loaded up with road-trip gear/cargo pod/etc... :unsure:

Did the loop with a little less than 3/4 tank starting. Just under 1/2 getting home...

·
Super Moderator
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Backed into one of the bushes right outside the garage... Scratched the bumper... Might as well throw the whole damned car away now... 😑o_O

221 - 228 of 228 Posts