·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #181

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Gave the XT its first wash and wax for the year. Sadly its been "too cold" and raining too frequently to bother washing it.

Yes, yes... 1st world problems and I am definitely not complaining about the amount of rain because CA needs it. (Dumb bureaucrats say drought is over, but it isn't)

I love my Meguiars M62 car wash & NXT2.0 wax.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Pollen invasion is going nuts in my area. They're resorting to Pollen Bombs now... :surprise: I already cleared off the pollen "blanket" from the other day... But anymore like this I'll have to rewash it. :grin2:

I'm not keen on micro racing stripes down the side. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Yesterday I replaced the rear brakes/rotors... Hawks 5.0 & Centric Performance (120.47029) No problem, yay...

Went to do the fronts with same pads... Ran into a lugnut showing signs of crossthreading/breakage... So, went to neighborhood Subaru dealer and picked up extra studs, just in case I ran into more than one being finicky. And also my local Costco to pick up matching lugnuts at $.50 each.

After replacing offending stud I discovered a torn dust boot on one of the pistons... Oddly, it is on each offending side. :confused: Neither side is leaking, yet... Need to determine how much of a priority I need to tackle those.

Not looking forward to that adventure. May take it to my local independent Subaru shop.... Time/Money/Frustration...

The front rotors have plenty of material left on them. Won't be using the Centric Rotors I purchased. (120.47021)

Studly

Driver's Front, lower piston.

Passenger Front, upper piston.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
So yeah.... These Hawk 5.0's are night and day better than the Centric Ceramics they replaced. I had about 4-5mm left on them and could have driven for many many miles, but the performance absolutely sucked. Not that they were all that great from the get go, but seriously.

I've always ran Hawks on my previous Subaru's... Should have known better and stayed with something that I knew it worked.

Great initial bite and excellent trail braking. Only have 35 miles on them though. lol

Weirdly TR doesn't list front pads for the Hawk 5.0's, but their available through KNSbrakes for sure.

Don't buy these.
https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Centric&model=Posi+Quiet+Ceramic+Pads&group=Posi+Quiet+Ceramic+Pads&partNum=C105.15390&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Forester&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=2.5XT+Touring

@gathermewool

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Oh Joy,

Wife's car, `16 Impreza Sedan Limited... suffering from the faulty brake light switch. ABC/VDC/Hill descent control lights turn on = no brake lights.

Turning off/on car makes them go away and lights function like normal.

I'm aware of the recall on them, but local Subaru Dealer won't have the parts in until April 22nd....

I know, 1st world problems...

C.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Oh the joys of aging parents....

81.4 yr old mom has snapped tendon in hand.... Cannot turn on her `16 Outback, so.... While waiting for her next doctor appointment in a week. She decides buying a push-button start `19 Outback with 3.6L engine will be a good fix for her circumstance.

Given the extra doo-dads coming with it, I'm sort of okay with it? But really? :surprise:

Wish I could use my tendinitis in my hip as an excuse for buying a new Subaru. :thumbsup:

She proudly showed her 24 hour car off yesterday when arriving here for Easter. 4 hour notice she was coming and 90 minute drive time.... Oh the joys of being the closest offpsring/sibling. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Ultraman Subaru Forester

Just finished previewing the full season of Ultraman for minion #1.... Spotted a lovely Forester in one of the episodes. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Did an alignment this morning. Slight pull to the right with steering wheel off kilter was starting to bug me. Plus with a couple of roadtrips planned this summer. I knew it would need to be taken care of...

Similar numbers from that of 2017 alignment done with same Michelin tires and Swift Springs. They just cannot get the caster into specs. Not worried about camber as it is so negligible.

Same dealership, different tech.

2019 Alignment
on Flickr

2017 Alignment

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Flickr was borked yesterday as they switched from Yahoo servers to AWS.... (Still having teething issues)

So,

Washed the XT yesterday and lost the RT mudflap sticker.... Didn't have another one for the forums. Going to give the classic "F" Forester sticker a new home, versus being stuck in a drawer.

The flap looked a little plain without anything on it.... :nerd:

Don't mind the messy garage. At least we can park two cars in it. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #193 (Edited)
Holiday Weekend Trip

Nice family road trip to Henderson, NV for my nephews HS graduation with him as (one of) the valedictorians.

Took the minions down The Strip during the day. Giving them a bit of history about it, and the downtown section too.

Swung out to do some light hiking at Red Rock then home today.

6 hours each way with holiday weekend traffic. Would have been less time coming home if we didn't stop for lunch.

23.7mpg at 0-75mph there with a tank used average of @ 660miles of 22.5mpg.

Coming home entailed 0-15mph through State Line. :frown2:. Then 0-75 +/- mph, the rest of the way. Anything less than that would have had us run over.

Filling up before heading back... $3.84 for 91 Octane. I could have had $3.43 if I waited at Costco. :crying:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
My mom has a `19 H6 Outback. She also did the same trip we did, but came home a day later to miss all the holiday traffic. Her normal cruising of 75 +/- average 27.8mpg.

I'll admit, a bit jelly on that.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
So happy to be back in the XT after driving a Buick Enclave for eight days through portions of NE, IA & IL. Flying in from SNA to OMA - 816.5 miles in 8 days. <20mpg average cruising Hwy @ 75+/-. Around the "villages" 25-40 mph. It is crazy how slow people go. Hertz didn't have any Subaru's in stock.

The Buick Enclave was quiet. The door cup holders would take items, but wouldn't release it. For as big as the vehicle is, the seats were comfy, but big center console separating you far from your front passenger.

The kids enjoyed the 2nd row captains chairs. Although the doors were too heavy my 7yr old couldn't open/close them by herself.

No practical cargo use unless folding down the 3rd row. The hidden sensor for leg sweeps of opening rear hatch worked once the entire week.

Android Auto would connect right away 75% of the time. Other times I'd be a few miles down the road before things would sync up and I'd have a map I could use.

Gas gauge was faulty from initial pick up with 2000 miles on the ODO. Full tank = 6/8 on gauge. I misplaced last gas receipt prior to dropping off with Hertz, so I have no recourse on their $9.99/gallon fee... =/

Wife agreed she would rather be passenger-ing in Forester.

Speaking of.... Wife had to go to the greater Chicago area for work. We tagged along expanding it into a vacation for the minions. Giving them their first airplane ride too...

Trying to managing costs, I tried to squeeze as many FREE things possible into the loop. I skipped the big museums/aquarium in Chicago. As those are all day activities for us. My son & I read practically everything...

In Omaha...
omaha.net/places/freedom-park
Kenefick Park. (UP Diesel #6900 & Big Boy 4023)
lauritzengardens.org
durhammuseum.org - Original Union Pacific Railroad Station.

Iowa...
Random dinner at quakersteakandlube.com The place was packed, food average.

Illinois....
Normal Touristy stuff in Chicago. Walked the 4 miles on foot. no complaints from kids as they are used to treks like this.

The Bean.
Chicago360 (aka John Hancock Building)
Maggie Daley Park
Lake Michigan boat Tour
IRM.org - Train museum - They have sister Diesel Engine (6930) to the 6900 that we saw in Omana, NE
Coachlite Roller Skate Center
blockstobricks.com - One of those in mall museums. This one covering all things brick (Lego) related. History from rocks to plastic...

Swung through Northwestern University where my nephew will be attending in the fall.

And managed to snag a seldom done factory tour of Stern Pin Ball
www.sternpinball.com Unsure who liked it more, ME or the minions. lol (Only allowed photos in their arcade area.) Where employees are supposed to play a minimum of 15 minutes a day while on the clock.
Stern's normal open house tours are done in October.

My son's favorite game there.

And because my kids asked the right pertinent questions and were respectfully polite to our host...
The posters are the vellum that get back lit on the machines.

on Flickr

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Day trip to San Diego to have lunch with my Mom who recently purchased a `19 H6 Outback.

Kinda jelly of her thank you gift from Subaru. :nerd:

In the same sentence she said I could have her "old" gift from when she purchased her `16 Outback.

And when I say "old".... It was still in the box and bag that it arrived from Subaru in. :surprise:

A nice little leather overnight GO bag.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yay! That's what mums are like 💖
What does that H6 Outback feel like vs a foz?.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
It's bigger for one. (duh).

`19 H6 Outback Limited, Option Package #21 & #24

Even though my XT is lowered a tad, it has similar seating familiarity. Although with lowering the seat all the way down. I had trouble seeing around the rear view mirror. She had the (fancy) electronic one with autodimming and compass. It was too low on the glass for me. I'm certain a regular mirror would be placed higher... Or that I could remove and attach higher on the glass with Super Glue. lol

Unless the spacing is due to the eyesight necessity. Also, could do without sunroof. It is tiny and not necessary. Plus the removal would lower the CG.

The H6 is a lot quieter than her `16 2.5L and mine as well. Has a nice growl to it and it gets out of the way nicely.

The GO pedal is touchy off the line. A bit moreso than my wifes `16 Impreza and nothing like mine which has been reprogrammed with the Cobb Accessport.

Rear seats are firm, per minion #1 who was pickle in middle and my wife. Minion #2 still in booster seat.

Rear seats are heated.... And minion #1 flipped one high and one low to see if his tush would be alternately heated, and it was. lol

Infotainment with Navigation & WiFi...

I had turned her WiFi off at first chance I got. Since she's not paying for that service with her cell phone provider. Less chance of confusion upon her part on trying to connect to it and not getting Interweb service.

Maps work. (Also has Android Auto to use Google Maps/Waze) Would love to remove the Pandora/Aha radio apps from the screen as she won't use them. Ditto for Subaru Starlink.

Car info of power going to specific wheels and angle of vehicle reminded me of the gauge pack from the 1999-2001 Impreza. (Or the 1984-89 Toyota Highlander Altimeter Gauge pack)

Overall, I like the car. It would be on my short list of vehicles to transition too. The wife isn't sold on it yet, then again it could be because my mom has one.

Although I would be lowering it to normal wagon heights. For our life use... I do not need the extra ground clearance. There are quite a few lowered Outbacks on the other forums...

Gas mileage is better than my XT too.

2019 Outback specs, options, colors, prices, photos, and more

·
Registered
422 Posts
Much obliged!
The fun you must be having between wifey and tech savvy minions .... Subarus ..... 😋

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

181 - 200 of 209 Posts
About this Discussion
208 Replies
16 Participants
HeyChris
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing