Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Had a great email today with lots of invoices! Great to see the prices on them too for comparison!
Nice invoice (or not nice if you're the one paying) in 2016, 2 new genuine self levelling shock absorbers (£733!), that along with a cambelt change, water pump etc etc came to a painful £1700 (inc mot test)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Watched a video on the YouTubes the other day where a side info part this guy looks at how rare his car is or something... it didn't really mean much at the time... then it got me thinking about how few 2.5 XT's there are for sale etc.. so I went on howmanyleft.co.uk ...

(Oh and all manual gearbox I think) Subaru forester xt turbo, and 789 are taxed (I guess) as of the first quarter 2019. Went across the tabs to "Engines" and scroll down to see 2490-2499cc, there are 77 currently on the road...

Seems incredibly low, but could explain for very few being broken on eBay, very few for sale etc etc..

Can I start calling it a classic car, rare car or something like that yet 😄

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Didn't want to start another post as it's probably a very obvious answer...

As our forester is currently on winter tyres I'm looking to source some alternate wheels - as exciting as standard forester 17's or as dull as steels and either swap the tyres over to steels and put a new set on current alloys, or new alloys with tyres etc..

Really looking to keep costs right down,but steels seem to be pretty pricey (which I find odd)..

Is there anything I need to consider/watch out for? Like odd hub sizes on foresters?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
+1 You'll want 5x100 PCD And around +48 Offset. - You can play with an offset calculator to figure out how much you can stray from +48

You might find this thread useful for Subaru OEM optiions - It is based on the US market so some of the info like years etc are a bit iffy but gives a guide

Are you looking to stick with 17" or move down to 16" for Winters?

Edit: Are you on factory brake calipers or 4 Pots?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I've already got 17" winters on my OEM alloys at the moment, so really would look at just keeping 17 all round.

Plan would either be get 17" steels and pay a garage to swap the winters onto those, then stick new tyres on the alloys, or find some cheap OEM 17's and just swap them myself.

Everything is totally stock as far as I know!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Quite strange today, I heard the Subaru burble for the first time on our foz. The in laws are over and we went out for the afternoon, father in law drove the forester and I heard the distinct burble.. albeit through the stock (assumed) exhaust.

Drew a sly smile on my face haha.

Anyway, hardly news for some of you guys with mega exhausts, but it was funny for me..

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
I love it when my mot guy drives my car ,
To see It zoom off down the road and to hear the unequal manifold doing its job .
Last year he drove it he came back after testing the brakes with a big smile on his face and shaking his head saying never bring that bloody thing back here again! he was joking of course .
I guess ill find out in ten days time .

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hahahaha! Wonder what he'll say when you reach the 600bhp mark!!!

MOT time eh! I still haven't found a new garage for MOT's.. it's not due until next year, but sometimes these things just suddenly come round!!!

I'll be walking away from my old place now unfortunately..

Actually there is a garage down the road that has a JDM forester parked outside (worker/owners) might Google them..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Evening all, quick question:

Does anyone know if the cigarette lighter/12v in the arm rest and the one in the dash (infront of the gear stick) are on the same fuse/linked? I haven't looked through the book yet, but I just pumped up the tyres and the one in front of the gear stick wasn't working.. but arm rest one was.. so not sure if I'm looking for a fuse or a new 12v.

I'm off out so will have to look at the book later tonight but just in the off chance anyone knows straight away.

Hope everyone is enjoying a lovely weekend!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Got back yesterday from a big weekend. Left on Friday to head up to Shrewsbury for a party. I'll have to double check the going mileage, but I think it was approx 230 miles (min) I filled up the following day after a bit of driving and needed 35 litres.

After a very heavy night on Friday night and with both the wife and I feeling rather grim (her more than me LOL) we limped home to the tune of about 250 miles with the fuel gauge showing between a quarter and a half a tank left...

And by limped, I mean cruise set at 65mph (on Sat nav), 2750rpm...

I'll be interested to see how much I'll get out of this last tank full.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
My record is 34.05 MPG. Doing 197.9 miles with 26.42 Litres of fuel. For our American cousins, that is 28.35 US MPG

If you can beat that, I'll be very impressed ! I don't think I'll ever beat it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Haha, I don't think I'd have the patience, probably would involved driving on a motorway at 2k rpm or something lol.

Actually won't irritating thing happened on the way up, a stray green leaf and it's stalk got hooked in the intercooler intake, it was hanging on like a bogey on the drivers side for a good few miles, I was close to pulling over and removing it when fortunately it did the honourable thing and moved on!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
So going up, which involved a fair bit of traffic, some "I'm lost" town (or city?) driving, I filled up at 245.2 miles and 35 litres was needed, unless I'm wrong that's 31.85mpg... blooming impressed with that.

Now I'm back, did a bit of driving today, it's sitting on a quarter tank (however accurate that is!!) And I'm at 263.3 miles... I feel like the last 10 or so of city driving has really had a good slurp of fuel and I've been good as well!!! :( we'll see fuel up time, which has to be in the next few days as I've got an airport run to do.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
31.85mpg is amazing ! Especially if you're unmodified.

My MPG improved as I got a freer flowing exhaust (And that Cosworth air filter) MPG improved when I fitted the Facelift 2.5 turbo engine, in place of my Pre-Facelift turbo engine - Kept the same intake manifold during the swap though.

City driving is never kind to my MPG either.

From memory the 34mpg was achieved by spending a fair bit of time in 50mph average speed zones.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts