Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hmm thanks guys. I've looked and the "expansion" tank level is just above the low mark, half an inch ish, I check the cap above the turbo, it's full to the brim, as is the other cap (handbook seems to refer to this as "reserve tank"?), I guess I'll top up the expansion tank and see how it lasts, least then I'll know for sure where I left the level.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hmm thanks guys. I've looked and the "expansion" tank level is just above the low mark, half an inch ish, I check the cap above the turbo, it's full to the brim, as is the other cap (handbook seems to refer to this as "reserve tank"?), I guess I'll top up the expansion tank and see how it lasts, least then I'll know for sure where I left the level.
Won't take much to get it to the full mark, maybe 50-100 ml only. Plain water will do for this small amount, since it will soon mix in the expansion tank with a proportion of whatever coolant mix is in the full system already, as the engine heats and cools a couple of times.
Good news the other 2 are full, as expected.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Another "please educate me" question..

Whilst I try not to live on the line...or orange light... My recent schedule hasn't meant much driving/filling up much, however the fuel warning light has come on, it got me thinking, anyone have a rough idea how many miles are left? In my focus I had about 50 miles give or take..but, diesel, small engine etc..... providing I don't drive like a tool, any idea how many miles I might have left?

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
5,525 Posts
It's a bit like " how long's a piece of string" as it depends upon a number of factors that vary.

When the low fuel light comes on, go and fill the tank to the first click on the pump.

Total tank capacity is approx 60 litres so this should give you an idea of how much fuel was still in the tank.

In my previous experiences this is about 10 litres (just over 2 imperial gallons).

But exactly how much of that you can actually use, especially with the split tank depends how good your jet pump is on emptying the lower LH half of the tank.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Thanks again guys, I figured it would be hard to answer definitively. Good idea on the fill up/work out plan!

I'll fill it up asap, but just getting used to this monster and I don't want to be walking to the petrol station with my jerry can!

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
When I was much younger and had no money with a new vehicle , I used to get a full 1gallon can fill it with 4* and run the car out of fuel then empty the can in to the tank and then run that out to see how far it get me. ……. young and stupid still stupid.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, finally got round to fuelling up this evening.. and considering I'd done somewhere around 10-15 miles since the fuel light came on, I was surprised that the first clickon the fuel pump read 49 litres... (and a bit)

I managed to get it up to about 50 litres.. so i had at least 10 litres left in the tank 😕

It's filled with Tescos momentum stuff at the moment, so it'll be interesting to see how it performs on that (if I notice on one tank...especially with 10 litres of the old stuff left!)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm looking to get a Thule roof rack fitting kit but I'm getting mixed messages about what's needed, does anyone have an idea what to look for? I can post some pictures of the forester roof "track/rail" if that helps?

I've been on the Thule website and it seems to suggest I need the 4005 fitting kit, but reading around I think some people have used different?

·
5,525 Posts
As yours is a UK forester (not an FSTI with JDM lower profile rails) the 4005 rapid system kit along with the 753 feet should do the job.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
I've noticed the speedometer seems to be out a little... not sure exactly how much, but it's on a %scale according to "Waze" as at 30mph on the speedo I am doing something like 26-27 (on waze), but at 70mph on "Waze" the speedo is reading closer to mid 80's....

Any thoughts on this?

I don't know how accurate waze is, but when I was driving the van and the wife was following, she kept getting left behind as she said she'd be speeding otherwise...(according to the speedo)

Also, another thing that isn't so much of a bother (unless I should be worried) is a screechy/squeaky belt on 'cold' start up..turning the wheel tends to change the style of screech a gentle blip on the throttle tends to cure it..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ianb1234;7558309 Also said:
Power steering/ alternator belt needs a little tightening ( or a new one if any doubts about its condition). Slip Will get worse when the weather gets colder if you leave it (bigger load on alternator and harder cold belt) Whip off the belt cover in front of the alternator, you'll see the long adjuster bolt with the bolt head at the top to the left of the alternator. Lock nut half way down this bolt bracket needs loosening, as does the alternator mounting bolt on its right side, then the long adjuster bolt can be turned to nip up the belt. Once you take the belt covers off you'll see what I mean!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
My indicated speed is about 10% out compared to my Garmin Sat Nav. I trust the Garmin more for speed.
Seems a normal Subaru thing.

The temperature gauge isn't terribly accurate either. If you have an OBD code reader that can read live data, you'll see how much the temp can fluctuate while the temp gauge on the dash stays rock solid. As long as it is in the middle or lower, you're fine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hmmm that's annoying about the speedo. I suppose it may help avoid speeding tickets!!

Thanks for info regarding the belt, I think I'm going to try and contact the garages with the stamps for the service history to see if they can give me any info on work done (not sure if they're allowed)..

Might get it serviced in a few months (when it would theoretically be due in 2019) as I'm not 100% sure I trust the latest dealers efforts... cost of a big drain down might be painful though 😭

·
5,525 Posts
I've noticed the speedometer seems to be out a little... not sure exactly how much, but it's on a %scale according to "Waze" as at 30mph on the speedo I am doing something like 26-27 (on waze), but at 70mph on "Waze" the speedo is reading closer to mid 80's....

Any thoughts on this?
The law for car speedometers in the UK

"The UK law is based on the EU standard, with some minor changes. A speedo must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph.

So if your true speed is 40mph, your speedo could legally be reading up to 50.25mph but never less than 40mph. Or to put it another way, if your speedo is reading 50mph, you won’t be doing more than 50mph but it’s possible you might actually only be travelling at 40mph.

To ensure that they comply with the law and make sure that their speedometers are never showing less than true speed under any foreseeable circumstances, car manufacturers will normally deliberately calibrate their speedos to read ‘high’ by a certain amount. "

There could also be a "variation factor" depending upon the aspect ratio of the tyres fitted if different from OEM.

In my experience Subaru speedos tend to be near to the +10% mark.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hmm very interesting Don, thanks!

I think 10% does sound about right.. I think it may have been reading about 80 when actually doing 70.. that's quite a difference, but comforting to know that it's common..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sent an email to the previous garage that maintained the Forester today and got a call back stating they're happy to send me the invoices of work they carried out! Hooray!

So that should cover me from 2013-2018.

Might try the previous garage to that for some info, but not entirely sure it's overly worth it other than for records, I reckon most recent year coverage is the important stuff!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
9 Participants
Ianb1234
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing