Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Forester 2.0 T/Tb
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 97 2.0 t/tb (touring turbo apparently?) for around 8 month and I love it! I think it's a real gem for it's age, i'm the 2nd UK owner and it only had 52k on the clock! (miles not km)

It currently has the standard exhaust fitted and I can't currently afford a full system but I want it to have that subaru growl we all know and love. Any ideas?

I found a local lad selling a 'universal' stainless back box for £30 so I thought it was worth a look. Clearly I was wrong, the inlet was smaller than mine and I realised that mine has a bend directly behind the box so think I need a proper Subaru one with the meter or so of pipe that runs back to the first connection?

Does anyone have a used back box for sale that I can direct fit or does anyone know where I might pick one up on the cheap to keep my ears happy until I have the cash for a full system. Also does anyone recommend a fairly budget system to consider for the future?

Any help/ideas appreciated.

PS I'm loving this forum already, lots of my questions answered in previous threads. Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
1997 Forester 2.0 T/Tb
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks nich! is that one that'll need playing around with or do you think it will just bolt on?

I have had a snoop around on ebay for impreza pipes just to see the shape and bend in the pipe but is hard to tell without holding it up to mine...

might have a punt on that one you sent me if you think it will fit?

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Hi and welcome Blackforest82 and what a splendid choice of car !!!!

Loads of threads on exhausts for the SF, search is your friend here. If you get an impreza box try to find one with a decent length tail pipe and not a very short one so it's not too far under the bumper and the hangers might need a little bending to fit.

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
1997 Forester 2.0 T/Tb
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers buddy! still trying to suss out all the terminology and different engine models etc, i only just got that sf stands for subaru forester, i thought it might be a newer model or something lol:crazy: D'uh!! I'm learning all be it slowly :)

thanks again, i'll keep looking

·
Registered
1997 Forester 2.0 T/Tb
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lifesaver lol. I dont know why I didn't jpoin this forum sooner :)

thanks for the translation :Banane35:

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
or try Jp Exhausts in Macclesfield, they will make it to the size you specify for around £150.

I'm another Hayward and Scott owner its loud without being intrusive. Its loud when you boot it but is quite civilised on the motorway. Some exhaust can drone at motorway speeds.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
Or you could get very lucky on ebay and get a spanking new STi BB for £1.04

:woohoo::Banane14::woohoo::Banane14::woohoo:

I haven't stopped grinning yet.

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,435 Posts
I have a race box stainless back box from my old impreza and a hayward and scott de cat down pipe i want to sell if you are interested? or anybody else for that matter!
They were both on the car for less than 2000 miles and are in near new condition ...cost me over 400 quid just before xmas. The back box sticks out a fair amount for an impreza fitment , but i think it would still be short of the bumper, probably:shrug:

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
I have an impreza backbox on mine, I'm using longer rubber hangers (the SF centre section hanger is just the right length) and have cut and shut the intake pipe from the centre to suite, on a forester the rear box sits about 1" lower relative to the rest of the car than on an Impreza, so if you just do the rear hangers it drags down the rear of the centre section (stretching the hanging rubber) and the pipe sits very low past the diff.

Simon

·
Registered
1997 Forester 2.0 T/Tb
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i've seen a picture of someones impreza box on a forester and yeah it looked really low, too low for my liking anyway.

I will still nose around for a cheap back box but since opening this can of worms it may be better to put some pennies away and do it properly with a full system.

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
I too am finding the exhaust choice just a little too large and not enough info. I want a decent exhaust but want it as quiet as possible. They all seem to be hugely expensive or very cheap. Who makes cheap, quality exhasts? (and then that depends on your idea of cheap.) Iv'e seen several ads on Ebay claiming to build from scratch for £300ish. What do I choose? Just a back box? Back box and center pipe? Full decat? Up pipe? Down pipe? My instinct tells me that if I'm going to do it, then do it properly and go for a complete system, right from the manifold to the back box. Should I do that? Ideally I'm thinking find a second hand one from an old Pretzle and perform the necessary modifications. But then most Pretzles sound like tanks, so the quiet option goes out the window..:confused:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts