Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my manual L since new (2000). It's only got 80k on the clock and never had power problems - until last 2 weeks. From a standing or hill start it has no low end power. II have to up the revs before dropping the clutch or it stalls on me. Any ideas on what's going on here, dudes?

My local mec drained and refilled the tank cleaned the fuel filter, replaced the coil and checked the exhaust. Result is my Limited drives worse now - still no low end power and rapidly backfires when taking off. Any help appreciated. Could it be an 02 sensor gone bad?? (and yes, I know I shouldn't expect much from a 2L motor ...)

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,087 Posts
Any CEL codes? Is it running rich as well as backfiring? If so, the front O2 sensor may be failing. Just a guess of course. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2000 Forester Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. Bobby. I thought it might be running a tad rich given the backfiring. In earlier days I would have tweaked the carb mixture back, but with f/inject have to ask my mechanic guy about CEL codes. I don't know if he's even got the software to read 'em. Will the code pinpoint the actual faulty sensor(s)?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
^^ Yep. The code will say exactly which sensor is acting up. Usually, you can go to a parts store and have them plug in their OBD II reader to find out what it is.

·
Registered
2000 Forester Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Time to dump the mec and head for the parts store I think. Maybe I'll even go DIY. Thanks, BF.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Just a thought. This foz is not a US foz. And it's 2k model. What's the chances this one has the ssm system instead of like the european cars has the eobd from 2001. The US cars has the obd2 system. Hopefully the mechanic has a reader that can read older subarus.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
The european models has the ssm system until 2001.

·
Registered
2000 Forester Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reader info, Elmy. Actually, the L has improved just a bit since I first started this thread. It doesn't stall as easily and the low-end power is better - but still not back to the normal 2L startup. I don't get any sensor indicators coming up on the dash once the motors running, so I'm starting to think that maybe fuel contamination was the problem. I'll still take it in for a reader check, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts