Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an article and the author was recommending against using LW Shockproof. He claims that the small particles in suspension will eventually cause a buildup of material on the inside of the case, and may block/clog small oil passages.

What say you?

I have been using the stuff and yeah, you can now downshift into 1st at 25 mph without issues.

I find it also helps if you *slightly* overfill.

LOL that reminds me. GM mounted the T5 in my Camaro cocked at an angle in order to increase the amount of oil that it holds. Essentially raising the fill hole by rotating the tranny. Seems they thought it should have more lube oil (overfill condition) than Borg Warner designed. Thing uses ATF. Problem with that, it also raises the drain hole, so you have to use one of those little hand oil pumps to suck out the last bit of old oil.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
It's not an issue. No buildup will occur on anything that the fluid passes through. It's not like plaque accumulation on the wall of an artery. I wouldn't worry at all. There is, really, only one "small" passage, and it isn't physically capable of being blocked.

You almost have to overfill with Shockproof. As you drive, it'll cling to the walls... and stay. A hair over the F line is all you need.

Odd that GM mounted the transmission that way. Was it JUST your Camaro, or was it all of the IROC-Z's? That's interesting.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not an issue. No buildup will occur on anything that the fluid passes through. It's not like plaque accumulation on the wall of an artery. I wouldn't worry at all. There is, really, only one "small" passage, and it isn't physically capable of being blocked.

You almost have to overfill with Shockproof. As you drive, it'll cling to the walls... and stay. A hair over the F line is all you need.

Odd that GM mounted the transmission that way. Was it JUST your Camaro, or was it all of the IROC-Z's? That's interesting.
BAC, thanks for the clarifications and agreement on the slight overfill. Too bad I have to mail-order the damn shockproof, nobody around here carries it. NEO also makes a shockproof, have you tried it?

Re the Camaro, that's the way the T5 was mounted in all Camaros and Firebirds (including the IROCs and Trans-Ams). (By that time both Chev and Poncho were both using Chev engines, so same bellhousing was used everywhere.) Axially rotated a few degrees so as to raise the level of the oil fill hole so it would hold more ATF. In 88 and later they were using the so-called "world-class" T5, which had different lube system than earlier versions, and this required ATF whereas earlier versions used GL4 gear oil like Synchromesh fluid. In this one I'm actually running a 50/50 cocktail of M1 ATF and RP Synchromax in the thing. Shifts like buttah.

The T-5 is only rated to 300 ft-lbs of torque, so they only used them with the 5 liter engines, the 5.7s all had automatics. The IROCs used the LB9 5 liter which put out just a hair under 300 ft-lbs. Roller cam from the 5.7, port injection, bit higher compression, big exhaust piping and the stronger con rods. Fun to drive, and will still get more than 20 MPG on the highway. MPG in town, don't ask.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts