Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since my 30K mile service. When I get on it from a dead stop its not nearly as smooth shifting and the auto-box seems to be a allover the place with the RPMs. Tonight it took off then the RPMs took a dive before it corrected itself and finally hit boost.

Not sure whats going. Its almost like its acting like its surprised I gave it the gas now. It use to take of like a rocket.

They did not disconnect the battery or anything while the service was done. They replaced all of the fluids using subaru parts. They did not perform an oil change since it did not need one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT auto Auto
512 Posts
They probably reset the ECU. Try to unplug the battery terminals and leave if off for 5-10 min.

·
Registered
512 Posts
what will this do?
Resets the ECU again. Not sure if our Fozzy's ECU re-learns or re-programs the ECU based on your driving style and conditions (experts can chime in on this).
I just did a batter pull recently and it made the throttle response better by doing it. Sorry, I'm not a technical expert on this.
Same thing as when you install an CAI on other cars, you have to unplug the battery and plug it back in when everything is installed again.

·
Registered
512 Posts
They didn't reset the battery. Can they reset it without disconnecting the battery?
Not resetting the battery. It resets the ECU by unplugging the batter and having no power to the ECU, over time it re-learns your driving habits. Search using ECU reset, lots of posts comes up with the same issue.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
who says they didnt unhook the battery??? and yes the trans learns and if the battery is unhooked, depending on how long its unhooked, it will reset the ECU, in which case the trans needs to relearn your driving habits, how long has it been?

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
who says they didnt unhook the battery??? and yes the trans learns and if the battery is unhooked, depending on how long its unhooked, it will reset the ECU, in which case the trans needs to relearn your driving habits, how long has it been?
My clock never was reset and my seat-belt does not chime. I did the seat-belt click deal to stop it from going off. I am assuming that if they disconnected the battery that would be reset and driving me mad, and I would have to set my clock.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
Not resetting the battery. It resets the ECU by unplugging the batter and having no power to the ECU, over time it re-learns your driving habits. Search using ECU reset, lots of posts comes up with the same issue.
There is no evidence or documentation that the ECU learns, remembers, can be made to forget, or relearns. It is an appealing myth. The ECU runs the engine by managing air and fuel, in real time using immediate inputs from the various sensors (MAF, O2, knock, etc). There is some documentation that the ECU remembers under what circumstances the knock sensor last detected knocking, and uses it predictively to anticipate it and best adjust the ignition timing before it happens again.

The TCU of the electronically-controlled transmission (the E in 4EAT) is reported, without documentation, as having the ability to store past shift points and use them to adjust current shift points -- the ability to learn where you want it to shift. This seems plausible, and may be what you are referring to.

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so it did the hesitation thing once out of the 5 times I captured it on tape.

So its not everytime.

Ill post up the video when I get home. In the video it gets to 3000 RPMs and sits for a split second.

What I felt: The car dropped back just for a split second (feels like forever) and finally starts to climb in RPMs. You will see in the video.

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For some reason I could not get my video to upload.

It happened twice today. I had it floored, but the car was acting as if I had my foot on the gas medal and I was gradually bringing it up to speed.

Prior to my service it would go like a bat out of you know where!

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,161 Posts
I assume they flushed the trans at 30k? What kind of fluid did they use, and how much did they put in? Have you checked the ATF dipstick?

If you're tuned, disconnecting the battery won't erase your protune, since it's the base map.

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 coolant SOA868V9210
2 Brake Fluid SOA868V9220
4 ATF-HP/PS Fluid SOA868V9241
1 ATF/PS Fluid SOA868V9240
1 cooling system SOA635071
5 80W90 Gear Oil
1 803926070 Gasket
1 16546AA020 Air Filter

All levels have been checked and are good.

To reset ECU just disconnect battery?

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
1 coolant SOA868V9210
2 Brake Fluid SOA868V9220
4 ATF-HP/PS Fluid SOA868V9241
1 ATF/PS Fluid SOA868V9240
1 cooling system SOA635071
5 80W90 Gear Oil
1 803926070 Gasket
1 16546AA020 Air Filter
All levels have been checked and are good.
To reset ECU just disconnect battery?
Four quarts of AFT means they drained the sump of the automatic transmission and refilled it - six more quarts were left in the rest of the transmission.

Five quarts of gear oil could be used in a Forester with manual transmission, but not one with an auto transmission. The two differentials only take a total of two quarts.

You will find that interrupting power to the ECU does nothing for either the engine or transmission. This is a myth unsupported by car manufacturers, and the dealers do not offer it as service. The ECU does not learn or forget, cannot be taught. It is a computer that processes inputs from sensors to run the engine.

However, the anthropomorphism of the ECU will make you feel good, and the more occasions you find to do it, the better you will feel. Many opportunities are described here.
ECU resetting for performance - HondaClub.com - Online forum for Honda and Acura owners

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Check ATF with car running and after you've driven around for a while and have rowed through all the gears. Checking it with the car off will usually produce higher results on the stick.

And the perfect level is a b**** to get with ATF lol.. that thing clings to the stick and filler tube

1 - 20 of 48 Posts