Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so ive seen alot of forums about this but i am still a little confused as to where to start. To start off i bought the car used in nov. of 2009 and had to have the head gaskets done in January. I was up at school while all the repairs were being done. Then my parents dropped the car off for and its been amazing ever since. With one small issue. The car drives amazingly at startup but after it warms up the car seems to bog down and hesitate when i give it gas, aslo the engine shakes when at a complete stop. The other day i got a cylinder 3 missfire on my way how from the mountains which scared me a little. Im not getting the best of gas milage, under 20, and i do alot of highway driving which i dont think is right. The car is a 1998 forester. im replacing the spark plugs tonight to see if its just a quick cheap fix but i highly doubt it.
Thanks
Sean

·
Registered
1998 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay so i replaced the spark plugs and so far so good i drove it 2.5 hours up tp the mountains to go snowboarding and it drove a million times better, but there is still the slightest choke when i come to a complete stop :confused: and i am still getting some pretty pour gas millage
any suggestions? i am lost

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
Idle air control (clean); front lambda (for gas mileage).

Possible issues with sensors or connections. If if tends to choke when you just give it a little gas from idle - it's likely the knock sensor trick, very common in '98 (gets solved not by replacing the sensor but rather by improving grounding connections in the engine bay).

·
Registered
1998 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a 1998 forester L model, there are no mods to it at all, the last time i checked i was only getting 19 mpg, which i now i should be getting more than that even with winter gas

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
First I would clean the MAF .... do a search, there are many threads about it.

If that does not resolve the issue, then I would suspect the front oxygen sensor. Especially if it was NOT replaced after the headgaskets. A little antifreeze in the combustion chamber then exhaust can ruin the sensor.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Forester AT
2 Posts
Idle air control (clean); front lambda (for gas mileage).

Possible issues with sensors or connections. If if tends to choke when you just give it a little gas from idle - it's likely the knock sensor trick, very common in '98 (gets solved not by replacing the sensor but rather by improving grounding connections in the engine bay).
Hello,
I have some similar problems with my Forester '98.
When the car warms up, the abs ligth come on and then the engine starts to fail and then stops.
I'm guessing this is an electrical problem.
I have problems in the past starting the car, so I've replaced, the battery, the sparks, the coil pack and the camshaf sensor.
After all those the car start to start ok, but then after the cars warms up start to fails.
Tau137, I've seen the knock sensor code on my ODBII, what do you mean by improving te grounding on teh engine bay?
Somebody have a similar problem with the engine?

Thanks

LEO

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever find out what the problem was? I have a 1998 forester L. It just started doing the choking after driving about 4-5 miles. Chokes then stops the chokes. I have had the Fuel filter changed plugs, wires and Ignition coil, the tps was in the wrong position. It still does it though. any thoughts??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts