Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Well, I have to say that I got an iPhone through AT&T when the 3G first came out, and have nothing but GREAT things to say not only about AT&T, but the iPhone as well. It's been the most reliable network I've ever been on (and I've had Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint in the past), and the iPhone has me absolutely addicted.

Funny enough, I recently started working for AT&T while finishing up college, and have to say that 95% of all customer issues are from user error. The other 4% are people not understanding that they have to pay their bills with "money" and not complaints that they don't know how to use their phone because they're too lazy to read the freaking manual and feel that it's AT&T's fault for not teaching them for some reason.

But to be honest, every person I ask loves the iPhone and doesn't mind that it's on AT&T. The ones you hear making fuss are "those" types of people that can never be pleased and will always find something wrong with anything, even if it's flawless.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well don't get too comfortable...Sprint can barely pay their bills and eventually will be swallowed up by Verizon, T-Mobile, or ATT. They will be bankrupt in 3 years tops.
In three years there will obviously be a better option than my HTC Touch Pro so no need to fret; I'll be looking at the smartphone market for a long time. :biggrin: So I'll be fine.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
In three years there will obviously be a better option than my HTC Touch Pro so no need to fret; I'll be looking at the smartphone market for a long time. :biggrin: So I'll be fine.
I'm a dumbphone lover. Give me Bluetooth and a cheesy camera and I'm in heaven...lol. I use NET10 which is a prepaid service that buys time from ATT, so my voice service is ATT and I have had zero problems also. It depends where you live also....certain areas have coverage gaps and I know out west there are some issues. But at 10 cents a minute (I am only an emergency cell phone user) I get by with $15 / month...hard to beat.

When I need more time chatting I use a skype phone hooked up to my netbook at any public WIFI spot...talk is cheap with Skype.

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,660 Posts
AT&T can be pretty bad sometimes but I love my iPhone so much that I'm willing to deal with it.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Well don't get too comfortable...Sprint can barely pay their bills and eventually will be swallowed up by Verizon, T-Mobile, or ATT. They will be bankrupt in 3 years tops.
That could suck, depending on who buys the company. I'm a very happy long-time Sprint user and would hate to see the service take a step backward.

Oh, I don't care how great a single phone may be - it's all but useless if the network stinks. Around here, AT&T stinks.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
That could suck, depending on who buys the company. I'm a very happy long-time Sprint user and would hate to see the service take a step backward.

Oh, I don't care how great a single phone may be - it's all but useless if the network stinks. Around here, AT&T stinks.
My guess is if anyone takes them on it would be Verizon as their technologies CDMA are compatible. ATT would not be able to integrate the Sprint network into their system easily at all and would incur huge costs to switch people over, whereas Verizon would have a much easier integration, at least technologically.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
That's the one I'm hoping for, if it happens. Seems like those two companies compare the closest for coverage, prices, phones, etc.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
I think it will happen...but Verizon knows the score financially and can afford to wait until Sprint is on death's door, whereby they will get a better price...patience is a virtue in this economy. Could save them a boatload of $$$.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
I've got too much invested to leave Verizon now.

Thankfully, it's only a matter of time before Verizon opens their "4th gen" network and Apple decides to sell them the iPhone.

When that happens, my Blackberry contract will be finished and I'll pick up an iPhone.

As for tethering, you can do that on Verizon too. I did it over Thanksgiving. Cost me $1 per day, and it was auto-off. $7 and I could surf and download movies in the middle of south Georgia! You can sneak and do it for free, but I wasn't willing to risk it.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
I love my iphone, I hate AT&T. They're actually scaling back their service here in certain parts of the northern Bay Area. Dropped and failed calls, dead zones, lack of 3G coverage even in certain parts of San Francisco... it's getting pretty ridiculous. Roo and I fork over ~$160 for our calling plan every month, and this is what we get?? I can't wait for Verizon to offer service for iphone users... we'll be among the first to switch.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Wow~ $160! We don't even pay that with verizon. With my blackberry, unlimited everything on both of our phones, we pay $120/mo.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Ugh, just looked. I'm only available for an upgrade on 4/10/11. My wife can upgrade now, but doesn't necessarily want a smartphone. Maybe when the iPhone comes out, she'll change her mind and want to take over my Blackberry.

·
Registered
2010 Sexually Trans infec 6MT
2,406 Posts
I love Sprint: monthly bill is $41.02 which includes 500mins, and unlimited weekend and after 7PM calls, text messaging, data (including tethering), insurance and taxes :D

The only issue I have is the phone selection. My current HTC Diamond with WinMo6.5 is ticking me off. I want an Android phone, but the current ones they offer have half the resolution of my Diamond. I hope they get one of the new dragon CPU based androids soon.

·
Registered
08 Audi RS4 6 speed man
156 Posts
been with AT&T for a good minute.. dont need a iphone but i have a nokia e71 which works well with what i use it for. sprints coverage here in oklahoma and texas sucks anyways.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,082 Posts
Have been with ATT in some form for 10+ years in 4 states. No real issue to speak of.

I worked for the company who owned Cellular One for a while (not customer service, with the people who actually build the networks), blue Fox is correct, most of the complaints are from people who don't RTFM, who can't operate a seat belt, let alone a cell phone and from people who want their phone to be like a top of the line laptop. Its still a PHONE even though it acts like a lot more.
The sheer hell that went into dropped calls and data issues, people worked 80 hours a week and had no life outside of making sure that the cells phones worked. They were eventually bought by ATT here, but I'm sure that its the industry standard for someone's entire career to hinge on the drop call rate.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
I have been with sprint for years. And I'm happy with them. I got a BlackBerry this summer and I love it. My only problem with sprint is that they never have the new phones. I had to get a 8330 because I cant get a storm from them.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
Have been with ATT in some form for 10+ years in 4 states. No real issue to speak of.

I worked for the company who owned Cellular One for a while (not customer service, with the people who actually build the networks), blue Fox is correct, most of the complaints are from people who don't RTFM, who can't operate a seat belt, let alone a cell phone and from people who want their phone to be like a top of the line laptop. Its still a PHONE even though it acts like a lot more.
The sheer hell that went into dropped calls and data issues, people worked 80 hours a week and had no life outside of making sure that the cells phones worked. They were eventually bought by ATT here, but I'm sure that its the industry standard for someone's entire career to hinge on the drop call rate.
I've been with AT&T (in its various iterations - Cellular One, Cingular, blah blah) since 1998 and never had serious grievances with them either. It's just in the last couple of years that they can't seem to be able to keep their phone/data network to keep up with demand. Why did they insist on monopolizing the iphone market if they can't handle the data load? Maybe things are hunky dory everywhere else, but I feel like I'm overpaying for my (lack of) service by a large margin.

This happened recently in my neck of the woods, and it seems unethical to me that AT&T would sell people $300 iphones and a premium calling/data plan one day, and the next day they decide to cancel service to your area altogether: IPhone anger flares in Freestone over AT&T outage | PressDemocrat.com | The Press Democrat | Santa Rosa, CA

Also, an outage of all AT&T phone and data service for nearly a week is unacceptable... I hope the residents of Pacifica get a refund on their bill: Pacifica AT&T Users Can Talk On Their Phones Again | NBC Bay Area

This crap... unacceptable: Bay Area AT&T users face major outage [x3] | Electronista

Data traffic on AT&T network up 2000%... no ****, sherlock. But AT&T had to have the monopoly on iphone: http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20091117/thanks-iphone-2000-percent-increase-in-bay-area-data-traffic-since-2008-says-att/

Finally... some improvements for the Bay Area? But wait, they forgot Silicon Valley is part of the Bay too: AT&T upgrades 3G in SF Bay Area; forgets Silicon Valley is part of region | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

AT&T can huff a dong, as far as I'm concerned...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts