Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So today, I was working on doing an install of some LED lights for the outside of my car. I was planning on tapping in to the existing wiring on my front door panel, where there is a light that turns on when you open the door to help light the ground outside...

Long story short, I believe At one point during testing and setting everything back together, I let 2 of the wires spark (The wires leading directly to the door's lights with the aftermarket LED lights), with the battery on, and now the Interior Dome lights, Radio, the Interior MPG/Clock, and my Lock/Unlock buttons on my remote dont work... HOWEVER, the car does start up, will drive, AC/interior dash panel/ headlights all light up. Basically, the car is running fine, with the exception of no interior dome lights, Radio, & clock...

Is it possible that there was some type of security code set by the dealer that needs to be bypassed by the dealer to get everything to work again?

I checked the fuses to the radio & Clock, and they aren't blown. Anyone know what I'm supposed to do now?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Did you actually change the fuses? Sometimes they look good but are not. That's about the extent of my electrical expertise............I know it's not real good. :icon_frown: Someone should chime in to help you!

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
You are brave to do electical work, that's one type of work I stay away from doing myself if I can.

I would think there'd be a fuse for protecting from this type of a situation. If there isn't, it's possible something blew. I'd put everything back to the exact same way it was in the beginning and quadruple-check to make sure that it is before making any other progress.

I learned a while ago to disconnect the battery whenever I'm doing changes to the car, you never know what may happen.

Stan

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses you guys... Yup, i did check the fuses, and they seemed okay... But I went ahead and changed the fuses anyways, with the spare ones provided by Subaru... I checked the ones that were located inside the fuse box in the engine compartment and the one underneath the driver's side panel, and replaced both leading to the audio and the clock... with no luck still.

My friend seems to think I may have possibly short circuited something when the wires struck each other, which he says I would then need to get the dealer to plug up this device to the car to unlock whatever it is..... he says its a security feature if someone's trying to steal something from inside the car... is this possible? or is something else more probable?

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
473 Posts
Check every single fuse, not just some. Get a fuse tester from your local store/RadioSharck and check every single one.

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
Also check relays. The systems you mentioned do include some relays and one bad may knock out the ground for the system.
Also, get a diagram of the grounds. Some grounds (I'm not sure if suby does this) have a fuseable link on them which will burn out under high current causing an open on the ground of the circuit which would knock anything out that was grounded there.

Edit: The fuseable link is usually a higher rating that the main fuse for the circuit though so It's weird you did not blow a fuse

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,897 Posts
If it were only things associated with the doors being open, I'd begin to suspect the (expensive) sealed module that puts the lights through their dimming routine. These are typically not fused on their output side, and that's where the permanent damage can take place. But that mix of generally unrelated things that won't work, especially the radio, does still point the finger at a fuse.

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,670 Posts
Did you check the fusible link? Its in the engine compartment fuse box. It might look like a cube relay but its actually a fusible link. I believe its separated to a few different fusible link. One for Main, one for drive train power and one for accessory.

·
Premium Member
None FXT i exploded 4eat one good 4eat
809 Posts
1. Just cehcking to make sure that you replaced the fuses with ones of equal or lower value. I.E. don't put a 20 where a 15 was.
2. Be careful.
3. If you get me a wiring diagram I'll be glad to take a look at it and suggest possible culprits.

Jesse

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
there is a very small chance that you fried a body contorl module, for the most part tho they are ground side controled, and are hard to weck, but can be done. bad part is that they can run pretty deep in the back pocket, but as others have said check all your fuses and relays, if it comes down to it, bring it to a dealer they are going to be able to help you the most

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help everyone! I found the problem... there were 2 blown out fuses on the panel on the driver's side compartment... easy slip in, replace, and everything is back to normal!

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,897 Posts
Glad to hear that you got to the bottom of this. It's always nice to get this sort of closure report. Often times there's just nothing ... . :shrug:

If you don't already have one, I'd sure recommend getting a little multimeter (typically about $3.99 at Harbor Freight in Gaithersburg or Laurel). The only way to really test a fuse is with electricity. What your eyes see doesn't matter!

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
I learned a while ago to disconnect the battery whenever I'm doing changes to the car, you never know what may happen.
This^^
now you know why every instruction sheet for anything you do to your car starts with Step 1: disconnect battery.
even if it doesn't and you are working wire wiring it's better safe than sorry.

mike

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,897 Posts
Yes, but ...

If you leave it disconnected for too long you do risk losing the settings in the computer, which can sometimes result in extremely poor engine performance for a day or two till it relearns itself.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup! I'm glad too... As for disconnecting the battery, it's something i almost ALWAYS do.... but after one particular trial one, I completely forgot to go back and unplug it, therefore, all this happened. Cant believe such a little thing like that messed up so much :chair:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts