Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am interested in the forester listed below:

'03 XS
61,661 Miles
$9,985

I am pretty dead set on purchasing a forester and this one fits my budget of 10k, the miles are right around where I want them to be, I went to see it and visually it checks out.

However, according to the carfax the cylinder head gasket was replaced about 400 miles ago or so and was sold pretty much right after the repair was done. All service has been done at the dealer right around every 3k or so.

Everything looks great except that, Is this something that I should worry about occurring again?

Any specific questions I should ask when I go back to test drive it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,521 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

I'm assuming "both" head gaskets were replaced. The head gaskets being replaced could be a plus, but there's no guarantee that it won't happen again. On the same thought, there's no guarantee it won't happen on any Forester, even if it's less frequent on the later models. :wink:

If you're happy with the Forester, go for it. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome and reply, greatly appreciated.

Hmm, I was thinking about calling the dealership that has completed the services and see what they have to say about it.

I guess I will also find out more once I test drive the forester.

·
Registered
1997 Legacy GT
122 Posts
I say wait another month, find a XT for a little more than your budge, buy that, and be eternally grateful you listened to me.

It's like buying a TV. Buy the biggest you can honestly afford so that you have no regrets. I've have a N/A Subaru and my turbo Forester is a world of difference apart. XT might be the coolest, most utilitarian car ever made.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Believe me I would love to get an XT.

Only thing is, I am also getting married in August and really can't afford to go any higher than 10.

Yeah, the timing of my car dying on me wasn't the best.

·
Administrator
39,521 Posts
The X model has more than enough power for normal use & it uses regular fuel! IMO, it does poop out in higher elevations, especially on steep inclines & passing on a steep hill can be a challenge. :icon_eek:

I like my '07 FSXT, but I might like my '03 X, now my son's Forester, just a bit better. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
576 Posts
Hi from Montana. It sounds nice. With good records on service and new head gaskets, if you like it when you drive it, I say get it.

Kenny

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
74 Posts
IMHO that's a pretty decent price considering the mileage. It does seem odd that the headgasket already went, but if the motor is clean inside (no gunk on the oil cap or dipstick) and you get a mechanic to check it out, I say GO FOR IT.

I absolutely LOVE my '03 XS.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
If both head gaskets were indeed replaced I would say it get it. We tend to knock dealership service dept.'s and such, but it is always nice to see a solid record of all scheduled maintenance having been performed, when we're looking for a reliable used car to buy. I just went through similar search. we were looking for a 2008 Ford Escape midgrade model (2WD 4 cyl XLT) for a college car for my son to upgrade out of his old 1994 Dodge Dakota. Looked at plenty of 2008's with no verifiable service history such as off-lease cars bought at auction and etc., eventually found a low mile, local one owner trade-in with full service history for all scehduled maintenance, etc. Jumped on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the responses!

I will call up the dealer and see whether or not both were done, test drive it, and if everything shakes out I think I may have myself a forester.

·
Administrator
39,521 Posts
Nothing worng with dealership repairs. I have all my major repairs done by my trusted Subaru dealership & I feel they've treated me fairly. :wink:

One last thing. The seller always cleans (details) the engine compartment, but they usually don't touch the bottom. If you can... I would insist on it, have the Forester put up on a lift so you can look underneath it. Look for excess rusting & seeping oil. The presence either of these could mean expensive repairs later on. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
74 Posts
I appreciate all the responses!

I will call up the dealer and see whether or not both were done, test drive it, and if everything shakes out I think I may have myself a forester.
Good luck, I hope it works out (or, if the car is a lemon, I hope it breaks down while you test drive it lol).

My 2003 XS has 150k miles, you ought to be able to get a little more life out of that one. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so, I called up the dealer that did the service on the cylinder head gasket.

It was, in fact, both head gaskets which is good news. Also, it is covered by the dealer for 1yr/unlimited miles, which is more good news.

Things are looking better and better, I also got wind of the dealer that the front driver side window gussett needs to be replaced which runs about $200 buck according to them. I really don't care but that is a little bit of leverage in terms of pricing.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Unless you just want to be surprised, you may want to run an Autocheck on it prior to purchase or for even more fun, afterward, lol. Just kidding, good luck with the search, I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks, I got lucky with this one where it comes with a free carfax report.

hoping to test drive any day now, just have to get to work early one day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts