Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT PP
10,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I found the anchor hooks down in the rear seat. I used those. However it's still NOWHERE NEAR secure. What else am I missing? I mean, the hooks secure the part of the infant seat that is against the rear car seat, but the side of the infant seat closest to the front of the car flops up and down. Can anyone lend a hand? the instructions that came with the seat are USELESS.

Thanks!

Mark

A

·
0 Posts
Infant seat has to be installed facing back, right. I used rear seat belt instead of anchors. It passes around low part of infant seat, above baby's legs. There are special opening in the seat to fix the belt. Then, mine fit the space at rear preaty fine. I put front seat a bit back and tighten infant seat further by it. I'm sure you know that infant seat has it's own set of belts to fasten baby.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT PP
10,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alexmolin said:
Infant seat has to be installed facing back, right. I used rear seat belt instead of anchors. It passes around low part of infant seat, above baby's legs. There are special opening in the seat to fix the belt. Then, mine fit the space at rear preaty fine. I put front seat a bit back and tighten infant seat further by it. I'm sure you know that infant seat has it's own set of belts to fasten baby.
maybe I'm not understanding...
but what's to keep the seat from flying all over the place if it's only held down on the side that is against the back seat? the other end flops up and down...seems like a real safety hazard?

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Don't fret. I have a call in to one of our EXPERT child seat installers. She was let out of her crawl space for the day to take TURBOGIRL out to a birthday party.

Figure on hearing back from her when she gets home.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's mostly a friction thing. When our kids were infants, the baby seat was strapped at the bottom. I assume you have the base and the carrier part. The way I installed it was to take the base, put most of my weight on it, and then tighten the seatbelt as much as it could go... not a leather friendly endeavor (but we had cloth). Anyway, this made if fairly secure. Then, the front of the carrier (which is about 6 inches higher than the base), pushed against the seat back making it secure. I think the trick is to make sure it's as tight as you can get it. If you have a picture of your setup, it might be useful.

A

·
0 Posts
Here is some picture I found. Maybe it helps. You may use anchors and additional belt or build-in belt instead - result is the same. It keeps the seat from rolling over its back in case of frontal collision..

Attachments

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,063 Posts
Quoth the humorist, Dave Barry: "Whatever Way You Installed Your Baby's Car Seat, It's Wrong" :)

You can find further parenting hints from Dave at http://tinyurl.com/f9tpz

·
Premium Member
07 x auto
147 Posts
Check with your local paramedics or hospital--they will be more than happy to assist in the correct installation to insure the baby is safe.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
rear facing infant seats are only hooked in the back where the seat bottom meets up with the seat back. I never liked this either but that's the way they are. If you get one of those convertible ones where the base locks in and you put the three point seatbelt though it those are a little more secure. However, the best type I've used was a Britax which had a thing called "Versa Tether" where you had a belt that went down from where the kids head is to something (I used a bolt that held the seat bottom) to secure it. That was like it was welded in place. Later when the seat was turned around to a front facing you just used the tether like a standard one.

http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/ratetherrf.html

If it's still confusing PM me we can talk on the phone.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Maybe peaty should do a write up on scoobymods on "how to properly install a child's seat" :biggrin:

·
Registered
2016 Ford RS & 2019 Subaru Descent
1,349 Posts
My infant seat has an adjustment at the bottom of the base to make the seat ride more level. The adjustment plate is in disguise. I used the seat for 3 weeks before I found this.

The instructions did not show this feature.

Once the base was adjusted slightly, the seat became much more secure. The seat does not bob like it did before adjusting the base.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
26 Posts
Your local police will also be happy to check your seat and perform any adjustments if necessary...

Adjusting the base did the trick for me as well, once that was done the seat was quite secure. Luckily we didn't need to test it... When our son moved to his current seat though (still rear-facing at the time) my wife was rear-ended HARD and it definitely did its job. Both of them were shaken up but otherwise unscathed. The Subie was laid up for nearly 6 weeks though, and insurance also covered a new seat.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Believe me after a while you will be laughing that you actually had to ask this question (don't worry all new baby seat installers do:wink:). First question, is this a one unit car seat or is it a carry on which can detach from the base. On my carry on w/ detachable base, the base had the "latch connectors" that attach to the special car seat bar thingies (excuse my wonderful terminology) that come in most newer vehicles as well as a built-in brace to go against the seat to keep it squared away. Here is a link to that:

http://www.britaxusa.com/products.cfm?action=ShowProduct&pro_id=D1274E39-6E8B-479C-978F16464B95C3A9

If it is a solid car seat, than the "latch connectors" should be enough. Just make sure the back angle of the child restraint be approximately 45 degrees when you install it in the rear facing position. You may also need to use those cut up "noodles" that the kids play w/ at the pool to put under the front of the seat to get the base level. Also, when you snug the seat in place you want to put a good knee down in it to give it more than enough weight as you pull the straps to tighten the latch connectors down. Also, make sure to snug the seat up to the seat when tightening.

I know this is a lot and I hope it doesn't confuse you. Good luck...hmm, better yet take it to a place to get someone who knows how to install it show you how to do it. Fire dept is usually the best place but also some specialty stores that only sell baby stuff (including car seats) usually has someone working there that can install one for you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
One trick my wife saw at a free state inspection was to put your knee into the seat (kid removed) and with your weight driven into the seat, have your spouse cinch the seatbelt tight. It works pretty well and works with all kid seats.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts