Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need some hellp. I have a guy on Craig's list that has some tires Hercules G3000H.

Tires - Auto (4)

I was going to order General Altimax RTs. But I have vary little money to play with right now. So the guy wants $180 for all 4. Are they worth it or should I just order the General's?

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Automatic
591 Posts
Get detailed pics of tread depth, check the bead and sidewalls for damage on all tires. Look from the inside for patches. Look for uneven wear on the tires - tread depth on outside and inside of tire (again for all tires).

Also call a few local shops to see what they would sell you an equivalent (or same) tire to you used with equivalent tire depth. Check mounting costs as well.

Also, what are the out the door costs for the tirerack tires vs these? Bust out your spreadsheet son!

If the costs line up in your favor, and they truly only have one year on them, you should be able to get 3-4 more out of them if you do not hammer them. they are an OEM equivalent tire, so know that going forward.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here is the skinny. I went tire shopping today. Went to Big O and a local independent shop as well as spent several hours shopping online. Big O wanted $536 for there Euro touring tire out the door. The Independent shop wanted $432 out the door for there middle of the road tire. Some off brand I never herd of before. Tire Rack is $312 to my door no road hazard. And big O will mount and balance for $11.50 a wheel. Every one uses winter tires here so its cheep to get them changed over. Tire Rack was the best deal of every place I checked on line.

I got some Blizzaks off Craig's list this winter for $200 and they have been grate. They were in like new condition and only one had a patch inside. I would go over them real good before I would ever hand over any cash.

And as much as I would love to get a higher performance tire I cant afford it on unemployment. I would have to order the General's 2 at a time to afford them.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
If you have a winter set I see no reason not to look at and consider these.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got them. Just picked them up and they look new. Only a little ware side walls all look good and no plugs or patches. Only thing that sux is there directional so I guess i have to keep them on the same side to rotate them. The lady told me they were getting rid of them becasue they went to a snow rated tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts