Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I hate that this is my first post, but I'm having some problems with my '03 Forester. The front end is making the strange metallic clicking(?) sound. I was having a look under the car and the ball joints were shot. replaced them, the noise still persisted. figured it was a CV axle, so I took it to a trusted shop and asked them to take a look. they said they replaced them, but now that I'm looking at my receipt I've noticed that it only says front right axle... :mad: Wheel bearings have also been replaced and the front brake pads are new. I've been reading around on the forums for about a weak trying to figure it out but it's kind of difficult to decipher the difference between grinds, clunks, thumps. I Have a video clip. Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,750 Posts
Hey guys, I hate that this is my first post, but I'm having some problems with my '03 Forester. The front end is making the strange metallic clicking(?) sound.
Welcome to the forum from Dayton - birthplace of Aviation (and the radar detector)

You are already checking bearings, axles, joints, rotating parts - all the things that a sensible person would check. But Subaru engineers have included a few mystery parts that also make noises. Chief among these is the fuel line dampers - two small, silver dollar-sized, round gizmos located near the driver's side wheel well. They're black, near the center of the picture. They look vaguely like a man's hat:

Occasionally, these dampers get noisy. It's easy to hear this noise inside the vehicle . . . but hard to hear standing next to a running engine with the hood up. You can check for this (and maybe eliminate this from your list) by taking a long metal rod (socket extension, long screwdriver, ???) and touch one end to the damper. Press the other end of the rod against your lips. If they're 'clicking' it will be immediately obvious. This same technique works well locating the source of other sounds coming from a running engine.

If it is a noisy damper, the only fix is replacement. The price is your first born - they are @#$%^& expensive.

·
Registered
03 forester 2.5xs 4 eat
335 Posts
manual trans or auto? if auto try popping a 15A fuse in the FWD slot (top left of the engine compartment fuse box) and se if it goes away... wonder if its classic subie torque bind?

·
Registered
2003 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: Replaced the drivers side CV axle today and the noise is gone! But now I'm noticing a clunk as I go over bumps on the same wheel.. the town I live in has terrible roads. What do you guys think it could it be?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts