Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jen is up in Scarborough with her mother at the moment. The computer there is an old PC ( not sure of make) running a very old Windows system, something from around 2002 vintage, possibly earlier.
The BT homehub won't work so she has to sort that with BT but....
the PC has a remote mouse and it won't switch off , even when the PC is turned off. So I assume that somewhere in the system there is a little option choice that needs turning on/off whatever to turn the mouse off when the PC is turned off !!?? She found today that the mouse is dead so will have to get new batteries but it it would be nice to have it switched off when not in use.
So, a slow, step by step guide as to where to find the operating detail please.

Thanks

Brian

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
787 Posts
What kind of mouse is it? Remote mice are battery-powered and typically have an on-off switch of some sort.

If it is a mouse that uses a dongle such as a 2.4 MHz cordless mouse, the dongle typically stores in the mouse; that is the method of turning it on-off. I have a Microsoft mouse like that.

If it is blue-tooth mouse, such as a Razer Orochi, it may have its own On-Off switch, unless the mouse uses a bluetooth dongle.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
it stays on all the time brian, unless its a high end mouse which might just have a switch. most goto sleep after a period of inactivity but pick it up and the led underneath comes back on so it looks like its on all the time.

my microsoft mouse goes off after 30 minutes. failing that pull the batteries out.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,889 Posts
All mice are a bit different, but the way mine (Microsoft) works is that it appears to go into (low current) hibernation when it sits quietly for a while. If for some reason it's left upside down or in a place that allows it to move around, it often sees enough motion to stop it from hibernating.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
As Mike says, nothing to do with the PC, my wireless logitch stays alive for about 30 mins and then goes to sleep, wake it up by moving it.

If there is no off switch and it stays awake for a (mouse) fault) remove the batteries when not using it!

Simon

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
personally im not a big fan of wireless mouse or keyboard. i think it's an overkill. BUT if u really are anal on having a neat computer desk (no wire clutter) OR you use your TV as your computer monitor/internet/media hub in the living room or maybe u have a big *** bedroom then wireless is a must coz it's mobile. but if u just use 'em right on your desk and in front of your monitor, then wired would suffice. also, no need to change any batteries. just my .02 cents :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts