Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the sports grille for my 2010 and installed it today.

It was pretty easy, but I didn't realize I would have to unsnap the lower portion of the front end (the painted plastic cover all the way to the front wheel well).

When I was snapping it back in, you have to snap in a seam-clip design along the seam that runs right under the headlight lamp.

Anyway, left side was fine, but the right side was fussy. I can't quite get a satisfying "snap" feeling as it seats under the headlight. And there's a little arrow on the instructions that make it seem like this is a contact point that snaps or something.

Any insights or help? It protrudes about 1/4 inch out of the bottom of the headlight. The other side is flush with the headlight.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
271 Posts
Take it apart and re do it right side first and finish with the left, if that don't work I got NFI.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take it apart and re do it right side first and finish with the left, if that don't work I got NFI.
Good idea -- maybe it's under slight compression. As I do this, I may try to work left to right also. I had the wheel -well portion snapped tight first, and worked towards the middle. I should try reversing that.

But it's difficult -- the whole thing doesn't even want to be in the right place until you seat that portion near the wheel well.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
I have just removed nd re-installed bumper a few times this week end. I installed horns.

The key is having 2 people. One person hold the bumper on the left side while the right side person begins to install bumper.

Align the clips and "hammer" in using the side of your fist. DO NOT USE TOOL.

Continue to "hammer in the clips from right to left. The left person should be aligning the bumper while you move to their side.

KEY POINTS:

There are 2 tiny little circular clips. One in each wheel well. MAKE SURE THE BUMPER GOES ON THE OUTSIDE.

Make sure your bumper isn't pressing against the plastic belly tray during install.

Clean all clips before using for the install.

Cheers

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Outlaw! I'll get some help before trying the re-install. I'm pretty sure I got all of your other tips right.

I need two people, and work from one direction around.

(Plus I wonder if that styrofoam filler is misaligned in there. It's hard to keep still).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts