Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester s from auto to manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie, I just got a ej205T engine for my 1998 forester S. My issue is that theres a connector/harness along the driver side leads outside behind the fender, it leads to headlight,horn, turn signals,etc just Wanna know each wires colors means and there purpose, So hoply that'll give me an idea to merge and splice the harness it came with the engine,
Thanks Jdmterry:grin2:

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,965 Posts
Try adult English/use a proper keyboard and perhaps a few photos? Merging the harness from one Subaru model to another is fairly complicated. The ECU is often different within generational series models and cable/signal paths are also changed between each successive type. This particular junction may be the first of many such headaches although conversions have been done. i haven't read of an SG motor to SF chassis but there have been a few H6 Tribeca engines into SF and Legacy bodies.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
554 Posts
Try adult English/use a proper keyboard and perhaps a few photos? Merging the harness from one Subaru model to another is fairly complicated. The ECU is often different within generational series models and cable/signal paths are also changed between each successive type. This particular junction may be the first of many such headaches although conversions have been done. i haven't read of an SG motor to SF chassis but there have been a few H6 Tribeca engines into SF and Legacy bodies.

Sorry but that was a touch harsh IMO, Maybe English is not his/her first language.. Your response would have been better received, I believe, without the first part.. Again, IMO..

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
@jdmterry there are a number of places where you can purchase the Factory Service Manuals for your vehicle, and the vehicle the engine came out of. They'll contain the wiring diagram that you're seeking.

Did you get the EJ205 from a JDM importer? That information would be beneficial in getting people to help you with wiring as that engine came in the USDM WRX's as well as the overseas 2.0XT Foresters in various revisions. And honestly speaking, you'd be better off getting the wiring and ECU out of a USDM WRX (02-05) and just running the engine with that. It will be far less complicated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@jdmterry there are a number of places where you can purchase the Factory Service Manuals for your vehicle, and the vehicle the engine came out of. They'll contain the wiring diagram that you're seeking.

Did you get the EJ205 from a JDM importer? That information would be beneficial in getting people to help you with wiring as that engine came in the USDM WRX's as well as the overseas 2.0XT Foresters in various revisions. And honestly speaking, you'd be better off getting the wiring and ECU out of a USDM WRX (02-05) and just running the engine with that. It will be far less complicated.
Hello I'm not sure, i bought the engine from Texas but it was imported from japan, So your technically saying just get a complete usdm wrx(02-05) wiring harness with ECU and it'll fit in the engine i got? (EJ205T SG5) and it'll fit in the 1998 forester. Because the Harness it came with the engine was cut it looked like it leads to the headlight or towards the front of the engine.

Terry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello I'm not sure, i bought the engine from Texas but it was imported from japan, So your technically saying just get a complete usdm wrx(02-05) wiring harness with ECU and it'll fit in the engine i got? (EJ205T SG5) and it'll fit in the 1998 forester. Because the Harness it came with the engine was cut it looked like it leads to the headlight or towards the front of the engine.

Terry
Any good website to get that USDM WRX (02-05) complete Harness with ECU
greatly appreciated Subie Head

1 - 6 of 6 Posts