Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to Subaru. I'm trying to replace the stock horns to Hella. Is it possible to just switch over the horns without rewiring? Thanks for any suggestions.:icon_question:

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
Hi, I'm new to Subaru. I'm trying to replace the stock horns to Hella. Is it possible to just switch over the horns without rewiring? Thanks for any suggestions.:icon_question:

Have a read through this Search link and you will find what your looking, I don't wish to sound or come across as being mean - selfish or anything like that, but the information is here on the Forum you just need to look/search for it as plenty of people have installed the Hella Supertones.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=2655758&photoplog_searchinfo=1&photoplog_searchquery=hella+horns

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1999 Forester
41 Posts
What a coincidence, i just picked up a pair of these to install tomorrow. Nice to see one way of doing it. I think I may luck out and be able to mount both horns to the hood latch support on my 99'. If I have success and the Washingtonian weather holds up, I'll post my results.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
41 Posts
My Hella horn installation

Forgive the double post. I felt I should post this separately. I installed the Hella horn set on my 99' Forester L. This actually was out of necessity, if you ever wanted to know how long it took a ten year old horn to blow out, its about 10 miles of continuous honking -and lots of tears / laughter at the different tones generated and reactions of unsuspecting drivers when they hear what sounds like the road runner screaming as my car passes by.

Another side note, when you blow your horn, you blow a fuse responsible for your hazards. You also wind up with your keys stuck in the ignition (a new 15w fuse fixes that... until you toot your blown horn, then another fuse is needed.

Hella horn installation on 99' forester L

PARTS NEEDED:
12' of electrical wire (I used 16 gauge for kicks).
Roughly 12 female quick connect terminals (estimate)
Spare bolt or screw for mounting one of two horns.
Tube of electrical contact grease (not necessary)

After completing this task I realized someone that has done a mod or two before could crack this horn installation out in roughly 15 minutes. It doesn't take long at all unless you are like me and over cautious and over think things as well.

MOUNTING: It pays to have a plan. I thought out where to mount the horns (on the hood latch bar) and where to put the Hella relay (found great place, top right engine bay has a bolt near the right strut). I replaced my existing horn on the hood latch/radiator bar and found a screw that fit a hole directly to the left of the original horn mount port (no drilling required!:rock:)

NOTE: On the horns, positive (+) is marked by a silver rivet/washer and negative (-) is marked by a copper rivet/washer.

STEP1.) Removed my grill. Unmounted one of the two stock horns (one located behind grill) and disconnected it from its power cable. I then mounted the two Hella horns (specifics mentioned above). I cut the connector off the remaining electrical horn wire. Took 5' or so of electrical wire spliced it onto the horn wire, added a female connector on the other end and ran it to the Hella relay (male receptor #86).

STEP2.) Cut a 2' wire, put a female receiver on one end and a U shaped electrical connector on the other. Ran from prong #30 on the Hella relay directly to the positive battery terminal.

STEP3.) Cut a 4" piece of wire ran from ground prong (#85) to a nearby ground (see image below).

CLOSEUP:

STEP4.) Cut another 5' of wire, fixed it with a female receptor and connected to #87 on the Hella relay (this is the positive line that goes to the Hella horns).

STEP5.) Last step. The line from step 4 now needs to run to both horns. Since I mounted my horns on the hood latch, I took two 6" wires, spliced them into the one line running from the Hella relay, fixed two female receptors on the two cables and plugged them into the positive port on both horns (silver rivets). Lastly, I found a bolt in between both horns and used it as a ground. Two 6" wires with female connectors on one end and the U shaped connectors on the other, a few screw turns of the bolt and done.

I used the opportunity of having the grill off the front end to clean up behind the grill, the finish product looks pretty clean (forgive the dirty car). Note that I did use a few black zip ties to make sure wires stayed out of view and used black electrical tape to cover any colored connectors.

FYI: I also used some picture hanging putty to keep the wires tucked neatly under the front quarter panel (seemed like the easiest way).

THATS IT!, oh, right the sound... Well, its too loud for my iPhone and no matter what I do, it distorts, at any rate, here is a quick vid of it. YouTube - horn.wmv

1 - 8 of 8 Posts