Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
New Member Greeter
2011 Octavia vRS DSG
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From in the boot somewhere, I've had the retractable cover out so it's not that, I've had the seats down and that's not made any difference, it's nothing under the floor as I've had everything out and it still does it!

I was thinking perhaps behind the panel on the inside of the tailgate? Or, has anyone any ideas?

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
Mine had the same rattle & was the plastic trim for the tailgate.It had come loose in the middle.I popped/pushed it back in & no more noise.

joe r

·
New Member Greeter
2011 Octavia vRS DSG
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers joe, I'll give that a looking at tomorrow.

Be just my luck for it to be something so trivial when I've lugged the spare in to the house along with the jack, wheel brace etc whilst I've been off out for a test drive. Anyhoo I don't care as long as I can get rid of it :biggrin:

·
Registered
05 2.5XT Manual
65 Posts
Thought I had a rattle in the boot, but it turned out to be where the centre seatbelt clips into the roof when not used.

Just let mine dangle out (steady now), you might want to try that.

·
New Member Greeter
2011 Octavia vRS DSG
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I had a rattle in the boot, but it turned out to be where the centre seatbelt clips into the roof when not used.

Just let mine dangle out (steady now), you might want to try that.
I know it's New Years eve and all that but steady on Sir :icon_wink::biggrin:

My centre belt doesn't clip into the roof, but thanks all the same.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
pulled my entire boot apart to find what was rattling in mine.

It was the lever inside the back door which connect the latch to the door handle.

Pulled it out, bent it a little to tension it, put it back in and it was fine for about a week :crazy:

just turn the stereo up louder! :Banane35:

·
New Member Greeter
2011 Octavia vRS DSG
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boom Boom Pow does sound better the louder you play it :biggrin:

·
New Member Greeter
2011 Octavia vRS DSG
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol @ NDS

Tried the above suggestions thanks but all to no avail however, I thought I'd found it on Sunday when I carefully pulled the panel off the inside of the tailgate and found a connector which should have been clipped into a securing hole but wasn't so I clicked it back in and thought my troubles were over.

This morning though the rattle re-appeared so, back to the drawing board :icon_mad:

·
Registered
2008 XT
126 Posts
lol @ NDS

Tried the above suggestions thanks but all to no avail however, I thought I'd found it on Sunday when I carefully pulled the panel off the inside of the tailgate and found a connector which should have been clipped into a securing hole but wasn't so I clicked it back in and thought my troubles were over.

This morning though the rattle re-appeared so, back to the drawing board :icon_mad:
Is it a dull deep toned rattle that sounds like it comes from the back left of the car by any chance? Rattle is worse on slower, bumpier roads?

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts

Hmmm...I think we have the same rattle. My seems to be from the rear passenger side. I thought it might be the seat belt buckle slapping the trim, but that wasn't it. I'll have to investigate some more tonight. I notice it the most on my street, which hasn't been plowed for weeks...bumpy and rutted out, low speeds.

·
Registered
2008 XT
126 Posts
That rattle is the only problem I ever had with my previous 2006 Forester XT. There were 3 other Foresters in the same city where I live that had it at the same time. Must have been a factory fault.

I will have to speak to my mechanic to find out what the panelbeaters eventually did to stop the rattle. It was definitely in the back left in all 3 of our cases. Something loose in the back left door panel.

·
New Member Greeter
2011 Octavia vRS DSG
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it a dull deep toned rattle that sounds like it comes from the back left of the car by any chance? Rattle is worse on slower, bumpier roads?
No, it's a higher pitched, fast rattle which is why I thought it may well have been this plastic connector block catching something before I snapped it back into it's holder. It appears to be coming from the back nearside, there's no saying when the rattle is worse sometimes it's when I'm going slower, sometimes when I'm going faster, differing road surfaces do seem to have an effect though.

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Try hitting the hard grey plastic trim round the rear side windows with your fist, my rattle was one of the clips that wasn't fully in. Also try the head lining there are cables and connectors above it which can also rattle. Those 17" wheels find every rattle going.

Max.

·
New Member Greeter
2011 Octavia vRS DSG
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers Max, I'll give it a go.

dash101, I was wrong earlier when I said that my rattle is from the nearside it's not, it's from the offside, I took particular notice of it this morning on the way to work :icon_sad: although, without me having done a thing there was no rattle on the way home :shrug:

Intermittent faults; there's nothing worse :yell:

·
Registered
1999 forester s/tb
89 Posts
I had rattle on drivers side rear door area took apart door panels,rear seats and rear panels and it still rattled.Found the problem to be the rear subframe mount bushes under the car where shot and they where knocking causing the panels to vibrate.Replaced the bushes and rattle went.

·
New Member Greeter
2011 Octavia vRS DSG
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Max, looks like your suggestion may have worked. I gave all the boot panels a good hard smack on Saturday and I thought that I heard a couple of clicks like poppers had popped back in to place, so far so good, no rattle.

Fingers crossed for a while longer though.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,541 Posts
I have several that I can't trace either... but then I thought scoobies were supposed to rattle ? :crazy:

·
New Member Greeter
2011 Octavia vRS DSG
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, no it's other cars that rattle not Scoobies :biggrin:

Today, I'm not sure if I heard the rattle again, if I did it was only for a split second ...... I think I'm going mad :crazy: I'll be hearing the rattle no matter what I'm doing before long :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts