aswering

what problems to look for when buying one

how to tell diffents from uk spec 2 Japanese one

what diffent from S and xt ?

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
What to look for ? The usual but a service history is quite relevant to the Forester.
How to tell a JDM from EU/UK...easy.... on the tailgate the word FORESTER is in large letters on the JDM car and SUBARU is on the EU/UK cars.

Good luck in the search for something.

Brian

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
JDM will usualy have a small square numberplate as opposed to the oblong english ones. Also the rear fog light will be a caravan light badly attached to the bumper. The UK ones have it built in to the bumper itself. Keep and eye out for multifit alloys wrapped Linglong drift tyres of death. JDM will probably have an interior designed by Frank Zappa on a comedown, the UK interiors were simply designed by a blind man. And the last thing you should look for is when going to view the vehicle the owner will say JDMYO! a lot... probably.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks ur help man (not dude :) )

whats the diffents from t/tb and s/tb be my last question
i should be getting one in couple months

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JDM will usualy have a small square numberplate as opposed to the oblong english ones. Also the rear fog light will be a caravan light badly attached to the bumper. The UK ones have it built in to the bumper itself. Keep and eye out for multifit alloys wrapped Linglong drift tyres of death. JDM will probably have an interior designed by Frank Zappa on a comedown, the UK interiors were simply designed by a blind man. And the last thing you should look for is when going to view the vehicle the owner will say JDMYO! a lot... probably.
what one would u say best to for a uk or Japanese spec one?

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
The JDM has a TD04 turbo as opposed to a TD03 on uk, And a few other minor engine differences I think. A standard JDM is about 220 BHP (up to around 250 BHP if run on a quality high octane fuel.) compared to UK at around 177BHP. So insurance is going to be higher. As Brian said service history is important. I think the JDM Foresters look better than the UK model, but am not sure if thats just because they are different. You will prob be best off with a UK model.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The JDM has a TD04 turbo as opposed to a TD03 on uk, And a few other minor engine differences I think. A standard JDM is about 220 BHP (up to around 250 BHP if run on a quality high octane fuel.) compared to UK at around 177BHP. So insurance is going to be higher. As Brian said service history is important. I think the JDM Foresters look better than the UK model, but am not sure if thats just because they are different. You will prob be best off with a UK model.
hmm sounds of that think im gonna look for a Japanese one my insurents wont be that much as i just had a nissan pulsar gtir at 320 bhp was looking at the pictures of them the jdm do look much cooler
im a mechanic so not to worried about many things going wrong

thanks for ur help deebom :)

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
If insurance and maintenance aint gonna be a prob then go for a high spec JDM one. The STI and XT models have the 2.5 engine, good for 400 BHP easy.

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,435 Posts
The Japanese spec stb model has more bhp than a uk s turbo so if you want more power as standard go for the stb ....if you really are unsure about what to look for, why don't you ask the current owner if you can take it to a reputable garage or for an mot ...if there is nothing to hide then they should not object to this :biggrin:

if it were me i would be looking at these main things

1.worn tyres
2.worn brakes
3.condition of whole exhaust eg up-pipe is prone to splitting with age and can make the engine sound noisey on tick over.
4.blue smoke on cold start
5.knocking engine especially at around 4,000 rpm
6.check for oil leaks around cam cover gaskets , very common
7.check clutch and smooth operation of the gearbox
8.check oil and look for cream on the filler cap
9.check history if it has any .....especially to see if the cambelt has been replaced
10.check time of next mot and tax

hope this helps !

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If insurance and maintenance aint gonna be a prob then go for a high spec JDM one. The STI and XT models have the 2.5 engine, good for 400 BHP easy.
hmm 400 bhp :D now ur talking lol joke

think are stick to s/tb one propley same age as ur like look those ones better
u had any proplem with urs wat mods u done?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Japanese spec stb model has more bhp than a uk s turbo so if you want more power as standard go for the stb ....if you really are unsure about what to look for, why don't you ask the current owner if you can take it to a reputable garage or for an mot ...if there is nothing to hide then they should not object to this :biggrin:

if it were me i would be looking at these main things

1.worn tyres
2.worn brakes
3.condition of whole exhaust eg up-pipe is prone to splitting with age and can make the engine sound noisey on tick over.
4.blue smoke on cold start
5.knocking engine especially at around 4,000 rpm
6.check for oil leaks around cam cover gaskets , very common
7.check clutch and smooth operation of the gearbox
8.check oil and look for cream on the filler cap
9.check history if it has any .....especially to see if the cambelt has been replaced
10.check time of next mot and tax

hope this helps !

ok thanks mate very help full
never worked much on the flat engines and so looking forward 2 it only thing i dont was a cam belt on imprez

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,435 Posts
ha ha ! i've just noticed that you said you are a mechanic so my last post doesn't really apply as it sounds like i'm telling you how to suck eggs:biggrin: ......hopefully it will be of use to somebody later on maybe :biggrin:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ha ha ! i've just noticed that you said you are a mechanic so my last post doesn't really apply as it sounds like i'm telling you how to suck eggs:biggrin: ......hopefully it will be of use to somebody later on maybe :biggrin:
nar lol it still helps knowing there common problems and faults what to look out for i think in year or so are get flat four engine rebuild it with write up mabe lol

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
If you want a manual then look for the S/tb (some are auto though) . The T/tb is auto only.
Interior trim is slightly "better" on the T/tb but this depends upon the strength of the rose tinted glasses !!!!

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you want a manual then look for the S/tb (some are auto though) . The T/tb is auto only.
Interior trim is slightly "better" on the T/tb but this depends upon the strength of the rose tinted glasses !!!!

Cheers

Brian
thanks be other thing 2 remmber :)

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
S/tb (auto) and T/tb are essentially the same car, the T/tb comes with arm rests on the seats and a fake wood trim.

i didnt go looking for a Auto but when i took it for a spin, i was very impressed, and it drives superb..... it changed gear just at the right time, unlike most auto cars!

·
Registered
1997 Forester S/TB Automatic
90 Posts
T/tb comes with arm rests on the seats and a fake wood trim.!
Seat arm rests and wood trim were a factory option on all models of Foresters, even some UK S-Turbo's have then and some don't.

If you can go for a top spec freshly imported SF5 S/Tb. Far more options and power than the UK cars. Most Impreza bits fit although you cannot remap the pre-2000 Auto's.

First job must be to fit a classic Impreza STi rear anti-roll bar, cost around £20 s/h and best mod for the money, tightens up handling until you can sort out the wallowy ride.

Watch plastic radiator end caps for splitting, S-Turbo radiator does not fit JDM car without major modifications.

Service history is difficult to prove on the imports and even then you cannot read most of the Japanese in the service book.

Best advice - Just get out and buy one - They are fantastic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seat arm rests and wood trim were a factory option on all models of Foresters, even some UK S-Turbo's have then and some don't.

If you can go for a top spec freshly imported SF5 S/Tb. Far more options and power than the UK cars. Most Impreza bits fit although you cannot remap the pre-2000 Auto's.

First job must be to fit a classic Impreza STi rear anti-roll bar, cost around £20 s/h and best mod for the money, tightens up handling until you can sort out the wallowy ride.

Watch plastic radiator end caps for splitting, S-Turbo radiator does not fit JDM car without major modifications.

Service history is difficult to prove on the imports and even then you cannot read most of the Japanese in the service book.

Best advice - Just get out and buy one - They are fantastic.

jdm ones the imported ones right? still a n00b to this lol
any import one would be a jdm or this me being a twat :)

thanks for that are be able to get a rad from internet if i got jdm one

hardest thing is going to be buying jdm i been looking around seen like 2 so far

·
Registered
1997 Forester S/TB Automatic
90 Posts
jdm ones the imported ones right? still a n00b to this lol
Yeah - Soz mate - JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) or read Import.
any import one would be a jdm or this me being a twat :)

thanks for that are be able to get a rad from internet if i got jdm one
If it was me I would buy one of the aluminium race radiators off of ebay for £150. I was in a rush and bought an S-Turbo one thinking it would be a straight swap - how wrong could I have been.

hardest thing is going to be buying jdm i been looking around seen like 2 so far[/QUOTE]

Have a look at one of the one's up here - bit expensive though but Dave has really looked after it:
Subaru : subaru forester ST/B Type-A Import 250BHP

Or the place I bought mine from has one for sale they say it's an S-Turbo but if you look at the boot pic it's a T/Tb:
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www...01026362249455

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow daves one is nice save up bit more for 1 of those lol
just sold my nissan pulsar 6 months ago :( 320 bhp baby car was
2 small these forester looks good :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts