Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I was driving the other day and my forester started to lose power while I was going up hills. Everything else seems just fine while moving, it's just as I start to go up any sort of hill it seems to acceleration. I did notice once that it would go thru the gears and then stay around 4000 rpm and not shift until I take my foot off the gas. Anyways any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
For others, it is a 1999 Forester S (from the OPs profile).

What kind of mileage/km?

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
575 Posts
My 1st thought is catalytic converter. Going uphill is usually where you will 1st notice a problem as debris falls back to cause a blockage. Try gently tapping on it with a hammer and listen for sounds of anything loose. That's just where I would start looking 1st based on what you described. Good luck.

Kenny

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
34 Posts
I have had a similar problem with a previous subaru. It turned out to be simply the ignition wires insulation getting old and grounding out. But that was pre-ODBII. I would think the same problem today would cause a check engine light to activate.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
I would try your fuel filter to start, it can become a chokepoint when it needs to be changed. It's easy and cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts