Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester X MY03
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need help. i have been chasing answer for a long time and no one seems to be able to help me at all.

I recently just purchased a 2004 XT Luxury. Im not happy with the ride height and want to lower it as much as possible but wanting to use 19inch wheels.

It already has PINK STI springs all round but stock struts and doesnt seem to be lowering any more than stock and ive heard its due to the rear struts are self levelling?

First question is, do i have to buy new struts or can the self levelling ones be de-activated? Whats the cheapest way to lower can i simply just put lower springs on like i did with my MY03 ? If so what springs and where do i get them?

If no do i need to replace my struts as well and if i do will my PINK STI springs work with the new struts?

If i need new struts what struts do i get and where do i get them?

sorry guys, total noob :p

·
Registered
2003 Forester X MY03
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok,

ive found some 06 wrx wagon struts and springs will these fit? if so any mods?

and will my sti springs fit the wagon struts?

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
That is going to lower it big time. The STi springs should work on the wagon struts.

FYI, for future reference, please put more info in the subject than "Help Please." I click on threads based on whether 1: I have the same issue or 2: I've dealt with the issue. By simple stating Help, I don't know my level of knowledge.

For instance, I've never dealt w/ the self leveling shocks on the Foresters, so I can only help so much.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Are the springs you have now pink wagon springs? If so, you just need some WRX struts and bolt the two together and you're good to go. Drop is about 14'' from wheel fender to center cap. About 2-3'' drop.

Don't know what kind of OEM struts you have in Australia, but the reason that it's not lower because your stock struts are pretty long.

Look at the sticky in the suspension forum, lots of good information there.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X MY03
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks guys.

sorry about title. yeh i dunno if my springs are wagon ones. most likely not as the guy i bought it off owned a sedan sti.

so all i need is sti struts? would standard wrx struts work?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,705 Posts
ok thanks guys.

sorry about title. yeh i dunno if my springs are wagon ones. most likely not as the guy i bought it off owned a sedan sti.

so all i need is sti struts? would standard wrx struts work?
You will either need 04 STI struts (05-07 wont fit) or WRX struts preferably wagon. Which strut you get will come down to how you want your car to ride.

You also need to decide how much you want to lower your car. STI pink springs and STI struts will lower you at least 3".

Take a look at this thread for Pictures of Foresters on STI spring and struts: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/saggy-butt-w-sti-struts-springs-false-72931/

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
The "length" of the strut does not affect the ride height. The distance from spring perch to knuckle mount will.

The front struts between a Forester and STi have the same measurement. The rears are longer on the Forester, so yes, the rears will result in it sitting a little higher than an STi would but it is only a 0.5" difference.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X MY03
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. looks like i need sti struts.

cheers, any recommendation on where to get my struts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts