Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-Turbo
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I installed KYB ultra sr on the rear in my 99 FOZ. A friend of mine owns a MY03 and his rear SLS struts said good bye. Is there a way of installing something different than SLS struts and OEM springs? I looked through KYB catalogue and it seems that they make struts , but coil springs are not available. Any solution to it?

Will be thankful for any comments!!

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
if he wanne keep the SG struts, he need to find a non sls spring for the car. Or buy something else like king springs.
If he buys springs, struts and top hats for an sf. he can install that on the rear of the car. Tho the rear will be a bit lower with the sf suspension from what I heard.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-Turbo
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing is that it seems that there are no non-sls springs on the market. Were there SG Foresters without SLS system at all??

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
You have to get them from the US I guess.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Because the US versions don't have sls. Easy as that.
Only the LL bean versions they have got sls setup.
I'm not familier with any place in europe that sells std rear springs for the forester SG. Only the forester SF and that is Kyb.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-Turbo
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not familier with any place in europe that sells std rear springs for the forester SG. Only the forester SF and that is Kyb.
Thanks, understood now ;)
Monroe also sells springs for SF

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester XS
167 Posts
Mine is the XS model and it has those crappy SLS ones :( So its not the LL bean edition only ...

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Thanks, understood now ;)
Monroe also sells springs for SF
Ye but if you want springs from the SF you need to swap it all as far as i know.
Meaning you need to buy struts, spring and tophats for a SF instead of the SG that you have.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-Turbo
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Elmy , I meant that not only KYB makes springs for SF. My friend wants to have SG susp.
bonevvladimir, do u know any garage that might help me out? I am not talking about Subaru dealer ;)

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Order king springs then :biggrin:

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Why not use SF rear springs? They will fit SF or SG struts, the SG is only a tiny amount heavier than an SF and as long as he has the earlier top mounts they will be a straight fit, otherwise he will need the eralier topmounts and make an adaptor to the later strut tops (easy, I've done it on mine).

Simon

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-Turbo
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^thanks Simon,
Elmy - I do not see King springs in a "regular" hight. I see only lowered and raised ones, and springs for SLS.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-Turbo
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why not use SF rear springs? They will fit SF or SG struts, the SG is only a tiny amount heavier than an SF and as long as he has the earlier top mounts they will be a straight fit, otherwise he will need the eralier topmounts and make an adaptor to the later strut tops (easy, I've done it on mine).

Simon
Simon, what adaptor are you talking about? can u please give me more details on how to do it? We bought a KYB struts for SG and have SF rear springs. What now? :confused:

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,926 Posts
Simon, what adaptor are you talking about? can u please give me more details on how to do it? We bought a KYB struts for SG and have SF rear springs. What now? :confused:

Simon
I'm also a bit confused after reading Simon's post. :confused:

If you have the SF springs then a pair of SF top mounts will complete the setup.
Because the ends of the springs are different the SF springs will not fit the SG top mounts, so I think that is were the adapter he refers to would go.

EDIT:
Unless you are a million miles away from your friend it would be simple for you just to check your own SF rear stut towers and compare :biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-Turbo
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you have the SF springs then a pair of SF top mounts will complete the setup.
Because the ends of the springs are different the SF springs will not fit the SG top mounts, so I think that is were the adapter he refers to would go.
I know that springs are different, but will the SF top mount fit the SG body?

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,926 Posts
I know that springs are different, but will the SF top mount fit the SG body?
AFAIK yes

Mdg and others have fitted complete SG suspension to SF's so don't see any different doing it in reverse.

Similarly an Impreza GD rear stut tower brace fits both SF and SG so the hole spacing would appear the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts