Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help!

I just installed a new Pioneer CD player in my 2003 Forester X. I've done stereos before without any problems. I connected all the wiring, tested it, everything sounded good so I put the dash all back together. Now I'm noticing that when I turn the car off, the tail lights stay on!?! No head lights. Just the tail lights. Nothing I do will make them go off!!

I just disconnected the battery so that it won't die on me. Any idea's what can be causing this or what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
is it the park lights or the brake lights that stay on?

how about backtracking your installation? Did you tap into something that might be connected to the rear lights circuit like on the fuse box?

When I cant find the root of the problem that came after an install of anykind I usually uninstall the component (in your case the stereo) and see if the problem disappears. After that I reinstall the component and test and re-test and re-test the system every step I can to keep track of what might cause the disturbance.

Just throwing out ideas for you hoping it'll help..

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,889 Posts
If it's indeed all four parking lights, it could be that you brushed the switch on top of the steering column in the process of doing the job. We here call that the battery kill switch.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
Is it your parking lights that are on? there is a switch on the top of the steering column that most people are not aware of. If so you are the FIRST person ever to accidentally bump the switch on!

·
Registered
2003 Forester
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's just the parking lights that stay on. I did a little digging around and I might have figured it out. The new CD player has a Blue/White wire that is supposed to connect to a power antenna, but since the Forester has an in-glass antenna I just left that wire alone.

Now it seems that wire is what sends the signal to the power antenna to turn off and on. Maybe since I didn't connect it, there's no signal telling my tail lights to turn off??

I read that I should have just connected the blue/white wire from the stereo to the blue wire in the car. I'll tear the dash apart again tomorrow and connect those two. Hopefully that will do it.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HA! I just read all of your reply's about the switch on top of the steering column. I definitely DID bump it by accident, but I didn't even pay attention to what it was. I'll go see if that's all it is.

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
that switch turns on the park lights in the front too.. if they are on then the switch is definitely the bugger.

the blue/white wire is just a remote turn on lead and you dont really need it..

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,889 Posts
When you get back inside after shutting off the switch, head over to this thread and post your formal confession! And congratulate yourself on surviving the initiation!

·
Registered
2003 Forester
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you get back inside after shutting off the switch, head over to ------ Parking Lights Won't Turn Off, AKA Battery Kill Switch - Subaru Forester Owners Forum[/url] and post your formal confession! And congratulate yourself on surviving the initiation!

GUILTY AS CHARGED! The switch was all it was. Hahaha..! Boy, am I a numb skull... Well I'm glad I didn't have to pull the dash apart again.

Thanks everyone! Just ignore me from now on! Hahaha..

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,889 Posts
Glad we could help. It might be worth your while to take a wander through the sticky threads over at the top of the New Member Introductions Forum to get a feel for some of the other things about your Forester that might bite!

Subaru, the official car of New England!

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
That's awesome. I could see myself doing that.

If you left the blue/white wire disconnected, you'll have to tear the dash open again (assuming you listen to the radio). The reception is pretty terrible if you don't supply the window antenna with power. Go here for a synopsis, following the scoobymods link within.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts