Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help to come up with a suspect vehicle in a hit-and-run accident which claimed the life of a bicyclist in Marin County.

I was approached at work by an investigator who gave me the following clues, and I'd like to help him out with a short list of vehicles he should be looking for:

1. This vehicle is an SUV-like body style vehicle.
2. This vehicle lost it's passenger side mirror backing plate at the scene. It looks amazingly similar to a Forester 'S' (SF) mirror.
3. This vehicle has a spare tire on the back (eyewitness).
4. This vehicle has a small trim piece where mud flaps would normally go.

I'd have to guess it's a later model (from the electric mirror), does NOT have fixed mirrors (backing plate means adjustable from inside), and will have a spare tire on the back.

Please, if you can help me rack my brain and include a pic of the vehicle, I'd appreciate it.

Here are a few that I've thought of:

1. Nissan Pathfinder

2. Isuzu Trooper

3. Toyota 4Runner

4. Honda CRV

5. Toyota RAV-4

Let's see if we can help come up with a short list, guys.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Scratch the Montero... mirrors are huge.

How about the Jeep Liberty?

A pic of the mirror would be useful.:)

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
Doesn't this mirror have a part number on it? Which should be able to be cross referenced back. Ok, so maybe you have to call the parts department (Who better to do that than Roo? ;) ) of a dozen or more dealers, but it should be identifiable that way. Tear it apart and the glass probably says where it was made, as well.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's simply the mirror backing plate. It's the "frame" which holds the glass, and alas, they don't have part numbers on them.

·
Premium Member
04 XT
733 Posts
Also you would have to cosider there is many generations of the cars listed. Like three different generations of RAV4 if the new one is out.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5X
63 Posts
Hope this helps...

Suzuki Sidekick/Vitara
Landrover Freelander
or Hundai Tuscon

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
Roo said:
It's simply the mirror backing plate. It's the "frame" which holds the glass, and alas, they don't have part numbers on them.
You make it tough. How about this: Trace it, scan it, and then fax/email it to as many car dealers as you can find. May need to call them first to get a decent return hit rate. Otherwise that would be about impossible, I would think. :(

Got a large used car lot - like a CarMax around there? Take it over there and walk through the lot.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got word from the Toyota dealership that it's a Toyota of some sort. The parts guy can't figure out which, however.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts