Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turned on my car, all ok until I go to back out. Uh-uh. Shift into 1st. Still no go. Run through the gears using clutch- all engage.

Seriously, it's as if the parking brake is still engaged, even tho when button is depressed, it clicks off, lever drops and the dash light goes off. I can shift (5 spd MT) but no way is this car going anywhere. Sigh. How to diagnose? Worse yet how do I explain to repair people (like I think I'm gonna get a house call - Can this car even be towed in this state?)

Vitals: 112K miles, serious rust, tho. Loved to death, but has been squealing from front wheels. Fluids all ok. Any suggestions?

I could also use good recommendation for local mechanic type between Tampa and Orlando, Florida to help me care for my baby.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
I'm not sure. Does the odometer move when you step on gas?

You can still tow it, either on a flat bed; or pull the FWD fuse and tow with a regular tow truck.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When clutch lifted while in 1st or reverse

car still does NOT move. Can't be pushed while in neutral, either. :icon_frown:

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a way to disconnect parking brake?

Is there a way to disconnect the parking brake cable, temporarily of course to be able to then drive/move the car to a local repair shop safely? Is this something that a AAA dude could do? (I am way broke, and yup, blond, too)

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,162 Posts
Tell us exactly what year/model Forester you have.

(And then when this is all over, put that info into your profile and signatureso it will always be there!)

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1999 Forester L 5 Spd MT w/112,000 miles

Thanks for your suggestion, I have updated my profile and signature. I hope this helps. Pix is the car in question.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,162 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have a manual for the SF series. It does sound, however, like the cable connecting back to the parking brakes is somehow jammed and stuck in the ON position. Does it feel like the normal release of tension when you drop the handle down, or is it much easier than normal?

Sometimes we encounter this sort of thing in winter when things freeze up, but I kind of doubt that this would be a Florida problem!

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it's as if the parking brake is permanently ON

My sense is: it's as if the parking brake is permanently ON, regardless of tension felt in Manual brake lever and button release. Even the BRAKE dash light turns off when lever is released. No significant change in tension when pulling up or releasing lever.

I got told that there may be a spring in one of the rear drums that may be the "problem" - or of course it could be worse, cable has borken, drums are frozen, yadayadayada...I don't know enough, nor have access to a diagram of how this works to see how to release the brake manually temporarily.

Suggestions? Descriptions? Photos?

·
Premium Member
04 XT 6spd
946 Posts
jack up the car, remove the rear wheels. take a hammer and bang the drums, maybe it'll undo itself. its nothing major though. i wouldnt stress about it. worst case scenario you need a rear break job.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,162 Posts
The brake light is simply activated by the position of the lever, not the actual function of the brakes. But the tension part is puzzling. Tension in the handle traces its way back to the springs in the brakes.

Does either of the rear wheels make an attempt to turn when you put it in gear?

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sadly, wheel want to turn

but all four wheels remain motionless, as if the brake is on. But without significant noticable change when moving the lever up to set the brake on or pressing the release button, dropping the lever which "should" turn it off - This condition is regardless of the brake lever being up (on) or down (off) and whether car is turned on and shifted into gear, or not running/engine off with car in neutral and trying to physically push the car. All four wheels remain locked into the place they are.

As to jacking up the car and banging on the drums, I don't have the physical capacity to do that myself - even tho I have access to a great car jack at the same location the car is presently parked. Apparantly, I need not only a skilled mechanic, but a big strong dude as well. Any takers?:icon_wink:

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,162 Posts
"Locked" just sounds like more than stuck parking brakes. I've had a few embarrassing moments when I've neglected to release the brakes, and the Forester sure doesn't behave 'locked."

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thx for your encouragement

there's not much more i can do but pray. I appreciate your help and encouragement. Perhaps the god of foresters will take pity on me.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
What happens when you let off the clutch with the trans in gear? Car stalls? Does it make ANY attempt to move?

Had the transmission recently been popping out of 5th gear?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
PM me. I live in your town, and can possibly help you out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts