Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. The other day my engine started to make some crazy loud rattling noise when I started it. It continued to do so even while it was idling at stop lights or driving at lower speeds. The only time it seems to go away is when I am driving at higher speeds. Does anyone have any idea as to what might be the cause of this? The car seems to be fine otherwise, no acceleration or other issues.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like it is coming from inside the engine... not to sure. Almost from underneath.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if that is the case, is it something that is easy enough for me to fix? or will that have to be taken in somewhere?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Tap the heatshields on the headers and the rest of the exhaust and see if any of them rattle. On the nonturbo its often around where the pipes coming from the heads meet before going to the back of the car. Does it sound like a metallic rattle or more of a deeper clunking? If you rev it and let off does it knock as you let off?

Can you get video or audio recording of the sound and post it?

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
What does it sound like? You should be able to pinpoint where it's coming from if it's that crazy loud.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it does sounds like a metallic rattle. When I rev it it goes away a little bit, but once I take my foot off and it goes to idle it starts again. In neutral it's noticeable but even more when it is in gear.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's the problem, It sounds like it is coming from underneath but I can't pinpoint it.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Jack up the car if you can, listen and do what funkymonkey said. Seems to be just an exhaust shield rattle though.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
If it's coming from inside the catalytic converter, then it's probably some loose material that broke off inside. This happened on my other vehicle. The noise started suddenly and showed the same symptoms as you describe. Unless you're getting a check engine light, there's no rush to fix it though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts