Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
I really don't want to walk away from this FXT. I probably should, but they are so hard to find.

I've been looking for a Manual Forester XT in either Black or Silver for quite some time. (So hard to find!). I've got one in my sights but it has some not-small issues and I'm not sure on how to handle it so I'd like to gather some opinions. A friend in portland drove it around today and was absolutely gushing about what an awesome time he had driving it around, I was actually jealous.

Lets start with the good: Gorgeous '06 XT Limited with manual transmission, mostly stock except for WRX suspension and STi bumper/lip and headlights. Black leather interior and very clean inside and out. It's got some nice looking rims as well. My favorite body style and color.

Here's the bad: rebuilt from salvage. I've seen the pre-damage photos and it was hit on the front left quarter panel. The car spent two years in MA and there is some surface rust underneath but nothing awful. It has 81k on it and the Engine Compression comes back 140, 140, 135, 135 (factory spec is 142 all around). I've had two independent shops test it out (PRE Racing in portland, and Wentworth Subaru in Portland). PRE did the compression tests so they are spot on. The guy at PRE said that he would not plan on building the car up with those compression results, but if I just want to leave it as-is then they are fine.

Normally the salvage title would have me walking away without taking a second look but:

1) Finding this car in an manual, in grey or black with the leather interior is a PITA, especially in this body style.

2) The damage from the accident was pretty minimal but some frame repairs had to be made. The assessment of both shops is that the welds could be better on the repair, but that the car is mostly straight and good.

I have a refundable deposit on the car right now, so I don't have to worry about it being sold out from under me, I just need to decide. (I made the deposit under the condition that any problems found during inspection would allow me to get a refund on my deposit, and have that in writing). The shop selling it specializes in fixing these things up and they said that if anything is found wrong with they car they would be more than happy to fix it. It's also on stretched tires, which I think is dumb.

They essentially want 15k for it and claim that they don't negotiate. I figure I have three choices:

1) Car has issues (compression, exhaust, bad welds), so I take my deposit and walk away and continue searching.

2) Car has issues, so I get them to lower their price considerably. PRE thought a good price was 10k. (good luck with that right?)

3) Send it back to them and say "well since you offered to fix any problems found with the car, take proper care of all these issues and I will have the car re-inspected and (if they are resolved) I will buy it". I know there is nothing they can do about the drop in compression so maybe I can knock a bit off the price then.

My gut says that the only option they will consent to is 1, and honestly — that is probably the safest option, but I'm finding it pretty hard to find one of these.

The car:

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
478 Posts
You know... This is a special purchase for you. I would pass. $15k is a lot to spend on a 8 year old car with a long list of issues. Keep looking for the right buy. That place in Portland sells tons of rebuilt titles that are WAY over priced. Those pictures are probably fabricated or of a similar color vehicle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
I wouldn't touch a salvage title car with a 10 ft. pole, but that's just me.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know... This is a special purchase for you. I would pass. $15k is a lot to spend on a 8 year old car with a long list of issues. Keep looking for the right buy. That place in Portland sells tons of rebuilt titles that are WAY over priced. Those pictures are probably fabricated or of a similar color vehicle.

Thanks again —*another vote for walk away. Feeling pretty ready to be done with this car.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
2013 Battle Wagon The Lazy One
1,358 Posts
Why not find one a different color that isn't salvaged and it good condition for a good price then have it painted? Ya painting costs a lot but you can get exactly what you want a little easier if you don't worry about color.

Also, silverline is highly advised to stay away from. I had the same question and talked to some local guys up here and they all said HE'LL NO!!!

in the end it's your decision obviously, but I'd walk away and keep looking.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
812 Posts
An '06 with 81k mi...no service history...been totaled once, with a marginally acceptable fix...for $15,000 plus tax and lisc.?!?

No way Jose! Around here, $15k would be awful close to getting you a 2009 XT with similar options/mi. Would be a good buy, but that is just for comparison.

Now, say you buy it...for the timing belt, is it not 105k mi OR 105 months? Which would be soon if not passed...so you need to replace that with the pulleys/tensioner/water pump. Plus, all the fluids, spark plugs etc...that will add up. Yes, you can do it yourself, but it might be leverage in getting that $10k price...or something to consider when calculating your investment. Others may argue the point, good point too, but for me...I love having a vehicle with either full maintenance history, or one that has just had it ALL done. These cars can run forever, if you do the maintenance ;)

I saw a 2011 Forester XPremium the other day, 16k mi for $22k. I thought what a low mileage car!! But the maintenance book says: do [this maintenance job] at X miles OR X months...so it would still need all new fluids(besides coolant).

My $0.02 is to walk at that price...$10k with the "they fix everything" and I would feel good about it :)

Just curious....why would the shop not want to build up that engine when compression was so close to stock?

Edit...those pics are nice :) I get why you having trouble walking away....just think of the accident pics to bring you back to level ground.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An '06 with 81k mi...no service history...been totaled once, with a marginally acceptable fix...for $15,000 plus tax and lisc.?!?

No way Jose! Around here, $15k would be awful close to getting you a 2009 XT with similar options/mi. Would be a good buy, but that is just for comparison.

Now, say you buy it...for the timing belt, is it not 105k mi OR 105 months? Which would be soon if not passed...so you need to replace that with the pulleys/tensioner/water pump. Plus, all the fluids, spark plugs etc...that will add up. Yes, you can do it yourself, but it might be leverage in getting that $10k price...or something to consider when calculating your investment. Others may argue the point, good point too, but for me...I love having a vehicle with either full maintenance history, or one that has just had it ALL done. These cars can run forever, if you do the maintenance ;)

I saw a 2011 Forester XPremium the other day, 16k mi for $22k. I thought what a low mileage car!! But the maintenance book says: do [this maintenance job] at X miles OR X months...so it would still need all new fluids(besides coolant).

My $0.02 is to walk at that price...$10k with the "they fix everything" and I would feel good about it :)

Just curious....why would the shop not want to build up that engine when compression was so close to stock?

Edit...those pics are nice :) I get why you having trouble walking away....just think of the accident pics to bring you back to level ground.
Chalk up another vote for no way!

This forum is great — I knew that I had to walk away from this car but I really wanted to buy it because SHINY but the truth of the matter is that it is a bucketful of woes at a premium price. Thanks for helping me come to my senses.

The right one will come along. I need to be more flexible on the color and focus on finding a car in the model years I like (06-08), and a manual transmission, with excellent vehicle history —*so that I can buy it with confidence and know that it's worth putting the work into.

I'll call them up in the morning and thank them for their time but let them keep the car and get my deposit back (I hope!).

Thank you all —*exactly what I needed to hear.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports XT Manual
219 Posts
mostly stock except for WRX suspension and STi bumper/lip and headlights.

rebuilt from salvage.

PRE said that he would not plan on building the car

Normally the salvage title would have me walking away without taking a second look

some frame repairs had to be made. The assessment of both shops is that the welds could be better on the repair, but that the car is mostly straight
Walk away.

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT Touring Auto
56 Posts
That's an 8K car, walk away.

Stan
What Stan said!!!!!! Walk away! There is a reason you can't finance it, and can't get full coverage on insurance on it! (or at least you can't in Colorado).

I would have no problems driving a 2005 Toyota corolla with a salvage title that I picked up for 4K.....but no way in heck should ANYONE buy a, totaled at some point, 06 FXT for 15K!

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6 spd
433 Posts
The engine compression really isn't bad for a car with 81K-if you were going to leave it stock.. Mixed with salvage title and the price, I'd walk.

Any resistance on their part, tell them you want it on a frame machine of your choice and they're paying for it....with their money, not yours, before you'll even consider it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.