Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 X1 CVT
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I already got Swifts on with a STI RSB.
Just want to make my DD a little more enjoyable.
Help me choose? :N_poke:

Choice A:
245/45-18s on some performance All Season tire (DWS or Yoko Envigors)
and Rota Grids, 8.5" wide, 44 or 45 offset. (~1600$)

Choice B: 22mm Perrin FSB, 19mm RSB, Kartboy endlinks. (~500$)

Choice C: DVD/Nav receiver and small sub. I already got new speakers.

I know there is a big price difference, disregard the cost. I just can't afford to get it all right now.

Perrin Performance is having a sale on everything and I also saw this: Perrin Performance - H&R Camber adjustment bolts

Anyone know if I could use this on the rear to adjust camber?
FYI: I will also be getting an alignment regardless of what I get.

Any comments are appreciated. I am already leaning towards 1 of the choices. I just need a nudge that I am making the right choice.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Why would you buy a 19mm RSB when you already have a 20mm STI RSB? I would say 24-25mm FSB and 22mm adjustable RSB and Kartboy rear endlinks. Throw in some Kartboy rear subframe bolts now and figure out the rest later, they are the best $35 you can put towards handling in my opinion.

·
Registered
2017 X1 CVT
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would you buy a 19mm RSB when you already have a 20mm STI RSB? I would say 24-25mm FSB and 22mm adjustable RSB and Kartboy rear endlinks. Throw in some Kartboy rear subframe bolts now and figure out the rest later, they are the best $35 you can put towards handling in my opinion.
Actually the 2008 STI RSB is 18. The Perrin ones are adjustable, front and back.
I thought about the 25mm fronts and 22 rear but I live in NYC and I thought it might be too much. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Ok you helped me choose the Swifts. If I were you I would not change the STI bar. Law of diminishing returns.

Tires will make the biggest improvement even more so than the swifts. the springs though the help with everything. Ride, handling, braking and looks.
A bigger ARB gets you a bit more roll resistance that "may" translate into better handling or may not.

The DVD being altogether different would be a good choice too.

I am going to do the STI ARB (did you source it new and what model year 08+?) and I will be in the exact same spot as you. Although I am going to do an AP very shortly as well.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Actually the 2008 STI RSB is 18. The Perrin ones are adjustable, front and back.
I thought about the 25mm fronts and 22 rear but I live in NYC and I thought it might be too much. Am I wrong?
Oops, missed the 2010 fxt part, your idea would be a pretty good compromise. I agree summer tires would be better but not on the heavy wheels you mentioned. The extra weight would hinder your suspension and slow acceleration a bit.

·
Registered
2017 X1 CVT
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies.
I am honestly leaning towards the wheels combo because the stock ones are not that great. Maybe I will reconsider getting a smaller rim size to save weight but 17s are so small on this car.

hey Frito, I got the 08+ STI RSB, bought new thru a vendor on this site. I think it cost me less than 100 and the bushings came with the bar. I'm pretty sure I got it thru Annapolis Subaru. I deleted the emails.

·
Registered
2017 X1 CVT
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so I have been looking more at different rims and the ROTA TORQUES are really growing on me. I am also using some of the recommendations to stay with the 17" wheel. (2 different widths, 7.5 45et and a 8" 48et.) What is the better tire size for this size wheel? 235/50-17 or 245/50-17. According to a tire calculator, the 245 size is a lot closer to the OEM size.
Torque's I am looking at are 17x8 48et.
I will probably get whatever wheels I pick in about a month. I am currently in the Fort Lewis area cause of work and am without my car... Got a HOT rental minivan in the meantime! Lots of Subies in WA I have noticed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts